3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Done some research but still confused...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007 | 05:14 PM
drariihemi
Default Done some research but still confused...

Hey everyone... got a few questions....

I am looking to do a cam swap and possibly P&p heads in August. Mods are in signature, but I have 4.56, Superchips and Lt headers already and I drive an 04 QC. I have heard about

1. 6.1 cam (great for the price)
2. Franks Racing Cams (sidwinder, hellfire)
3. Comp 260 (high torque, same HP as 6.1 may be less at higher RPM)
4. Comp 268 (more HP than 268, but maybe not best choice in QC)
5. PPP cams (Road warrior, track warrior)
6. HHP/ BES stage 1 ( http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=1139 ) Heard about this one on Dodge forum
7. Craine Cams 216??? ( seemed as though craine cams had tuning issue before, but now there is a shift toward them)

My questions are

1. If I am looking to not have to worry about tuning in the future which is the best cam?
2. If I decided to go with a cam that required some tuning, is there a huge gain in performance between cams requiring and not requiring tuning?
3. How much will p&p heads help in all applications (will I really feel the difference)?
4. PSC1-003, Arc-1, SMT-6, split second cam tunner (new)... which is best?
5. Do you have any other advice in making my selection

Sorry about long post but with so many choices have come alot of confusion.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I will be getting a wideband.[/align]

Old 06-20-2007 | 06:36 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Default RE: Done some research but still confused...

Hi Drariihemi,

I didn't see any mods in yer sig...
Heads are always a good performance mod. If you have the dollars get em.
As for Cams, well all I can say is don't get to crazy if you plan on driving her daily.

Old 06-20-2007 | 06:59 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Default RE: Done some research but still confused...

I am running the Comp 268,I have headers,injectors,Superchip, CAI and agtermarket throttle body. The comp makes HUGE power in the mid range! If you are basically stock I would go with the 260,no other mods will be required to make good power with this cam. It will work well with the stock computer and stock ignition/exhaust. Most people make the mistake of over camming. Remember,everything has to work togeather! Gear,torque converter, ignition,injection and exhaust all have to be in sync. The Comp 260 or the factory 6.1 cam is the way I would go unless you plan on doing more upgrades.

Quick Reply: Done some research but still confused...