3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 chrome 20's cleaning tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 02 chrome 20's cleaning tips

Thanks Trav,
We likes pics here

Old 06-23-2007, 02:06 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i didnt read what anyone else said because http://www.master-formula.com/. the best polish out there period. im a detail freak and can spend hours detailing my car. ive tried everything, this took my polished wheels on my other car from dull to new. only way to go.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:19 PM
trav_19

well i got to wait until my woman gets home from work so she can watch the boy and i can go play with the truck ....if the hot rims dont work like i want it tomy dads got the powerball i think i will try that with some chrome polish...i guess we will see once she gets home...

Old 06-23-2007, 03:13 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always thought my wheels were polished aluminum or something other than chrome because they just don't have the depth that chrome wheels usually have. I assumed they were coated, not to be polished, etc. If all they need is some elbow grease, I can handle that.

Meguiars wheel cleaner is great. You don't have to do anything overly involved either. I have a super-soft brush (meant for paint, but I won't do that!) that works great on wheels. Spray the cleaner on, scrub, rinse -- looks new, all in maybe 30 seconds per wheel. These wheels are a nice open design making it quick work.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

I have polished 20" aluminum wheels and they are always shiney. Aside from washing them when I wash the truck, I do nothing to them. A couple of people have mentioned brake dust accumulation. I get absolutely NO brake dust on my wheels. Could it be that I have upgraded pads? I have no idea if they are stock pads or upgrades. That said, my wife's minivan has stock pads and chrome wheels and her's are just so crudded up with brake dust that I can no longer get them clean. I've tried pretty much most of the aftermarket wheel cleaners, but it just won't come off. Before I dare try it, does anyone know if brake cleaner would damage the chrome? And would it even clean the wheel?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Sir Hardin Thicke

I have polished 20" aluminum wheels and they are always shiney. Aside from washing them when I wash the truck, I do nothing to them. A couple of people have mentioned brake dust accumulation. I get absolutely NO brake dust on my wheels. Could it be that I have upgraded pads? I have no idea if they are stock pads or upgrades. That said, my wife's minivan has stock pads and chrome wheels and her's are just so crudded up with brake dust that I can no longer get them clean. I've tried pretty much most of the aftermarket wheel cleaners, but it just won't come off. Before I dare try it, does anyone know if brake cleaner would damage the chrome? And would it even clean the wheel?
I'd try some polish or cleaner with a drill and buff ball first.

Are the Chromed Plastic covers or Chromed Wheels? If they be plastic coversI'dbe leeryof Brake Cleaner.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:05 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

I have to give some props to master formula on this topic. I have never used another product that does sooo well with chrome and aluminum and SS. The stuff works wonders!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 AM
mdscole
Amateur

That chrome factory 20" rim isn't chrome plated aluminum. It's a chrome plated plastic skin that you can take off the wheel. Look closely at the lip of the rim. The lip - where the weights are attached is polished aluminum with a clear coat. The rest of the wheel is chrome plated plastic.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But - any chrome polish will bring out the shine and add a coating of wax to make the wheels easier to clean.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:00 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

ORIGINAL: mdscole

That chrome factory 20" rim isn't chrome plated aluminum. It's a chrome plated plastic skin that you can take off the wheel. Look closely at the lip of the rim. The lip - where the weights are attached is polished aluminum with a clear coat. The rest of the wheel is chrome plated plastic.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But - any chrome polish will bring out the shine and add a coating of wax to make the wheels easier to clean.
i believe the 02's actually had a chrome rim. What i was told by the dealer i bought my truck from was that the chrome clad didnt actually start going on til 03

Old 06-24-2007, 02:27 PM
trav_19

yeah i dont have any plastic on my wheels its a 02 i left the camera at home..we went over to my parents and i tried the meguires...didnt really make them look like chrome...but they are really clean lol...they still look like a brushed aluminum kinda...i think i am going to look into some mothers chrome polish and the powerball now...its raining or i would run out and snap some pics...but i will get them soon i promise

Quick Reply: 02 chrome 20's cleaning tips