3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dealer Tune up ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 AM
Pokherplayer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Tune up ?

My Truck (04 Hemi Quadcab) issurging at low RPM and the Check engine light is on so I took it ot the dealer to have it checked out.

Its Got almost 60K on it

Ok, my dealer qouted me ......

Needs a new EGR Valve.
Plugs
Throttle Body cleaned
Injectors cleaned

Almost $850 for this

Im a Certified aircraft mechanic so I have the tools etc

How do I clean the throttle body? Is that just spraying the TB or Carb cleaner in the bores?
(Is there a difference between TB cleaner and Carb cleaner?) Or is there more to it?

What else needs to be done at 60K ?

thanks

LP

Old 06-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Tune up ?

From the top:

EGR-easy change from what I've read. Fwd on the #2 side of the eng. I've heard they run about $50 at the parts stores.

Sparkplugs- RPITA, but it can be done in the driveway, it isjustuncomfortable. You have 16 sparkplugs so that's where the cost comes from. I would go with plan old copper Champions (stock) or some copper NGK's. Consensus on here is that platinums are not worth the extra money. At 60K I would replace the wires as well, Talyor makes some nice after market ones or just buy stock. It is much simpler to remove the Hemi hat and the intake tube for access as well. Use a 3/8 dr with a sparkplug socket and various length extensions with a swivel as well. I laid a large heavy foam pad on top of the engine and I laid on top of that for a couple of hours. Remove the coil packs with a 10mm and then use the extensions/SP socketto remove the plugs.#2 sideis pretty easy. #1 side aft two are the most difficult due to the proximity of the pwr brake booster, hence the swivel. I used a 6" longrubber hose to hold the new plug as I inserted it in the head and got the threads started. Use a tq wrench on the new plugs. I feel this is most important as does the manual, 13 ft lbs. I do not use anti-sieze because the factory does not ask for it and the localsenior Dodge mech told me not to, your call on that one. Lube the coil packs with diaelectric and reinstall them.

While the Hemi hat and intake are removed, remove the throttle-body. Four bolts and one connector, 8mm I think. Do not use TB/Carb cleaner!!! That stuff is too harsh and could damage the sensors. There is a TSB about this. Use a quality brake cleaner and spray it down real good and use a rag soaked in it to reach in the manifold to get that part. I also used an old tooth brush. My rubber O-ring looked fine so I didn't replace it.

For the injectors, I used Sea-Foam. You can find it at all the auto parts stores for about $5 a can. Pour one third of the can into an old glass jar. Takea foot ofvacuum line and attatch it to the little vacuumfitting on the large brake booster vacuumfitting. Mine just had a plug, some have a hose you must dis-connect. After the plugs and TB are reinstalled, start the truck and slowly insert the vacuum line into the jar of Sea-foam. The vacuum will suck it right into the manifold to do it's thing. The truck will falter and may stall. Just re-start and do it again. I do it without stalling the truck. After the jar is empty, shut her down and wait 5 min. Re-start and take her out for a spin to get that crap out. She may smoke real bad and your exhaust will stink. Don't sweat it, both are normal. Pour the rest of the Sea-foam in the tank and your done!

Do what ever else is required on the 60K check-up like lube job/oil filter/tranny/ and diffs. You can even add Sea-foam to the eng oil if you want.

Go to Hemitruckclub.com , left side, scroll down, and download your manual for details of above. Also search this forum for TB cleaning and Sea-foam to read more.

There, that should keep you busy for the rest of the afternoon, enjoy!!

Quick Reply: Dealer Tune up ?