3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LEER or ARE Tonneau Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:50 PM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LEER or ARE Tonneau Question?

I'd like to know how much clearance above the rails you get with the A.R.E. or LEER fiberglass tonneau covers. What is the distance from the rails to the underside of the cover in the middle?

I have a go-kart that I transport in the bed, and the steering wheel sticks up above the rails about 1-2". Both the ARE and LEER tonneau covers have a hump in the middle, im just trying to figure out if there will be enough clerance for my kart with the tonneau closed.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LEER or ARE Tonneau Question?

idk how it is on the rams, but i went with a leer 700 series on my dakota....i used to own a century, have friends with ARE, see a ******* at school (whos fitment really sucked) and am the only person i know personally with a leer....century was kinda bottom line, i always see advertisements for ******* and hear they are supposed to be good, but the one i see daily looks like ****....in my eyes, are and leer are the best...i went with the leer though....main reason was astetically, i liked it more, structurely they were pretty comperable...ill tell you what though, i can turn my latch with my index finger and thumb and i know i couldnt do that with ARE...

but then with both, you can get upgrades...for instance, i got my locks on my tonneau wired into my pass door locks, which works with my keyfob, they have upgraded hindges/hydrolics.....but another thing that i liked about the leer is when you open your tonneau, the hindges rais the part by the cab of the truck and then tilt, so it does not rub on your rails ect

Old 06-30-2007, 08:49 PM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a really clean install! Looks like you gained maybe 2" over the rails. Thanks. I just checked out the ARE and leer at the store today. The ARE uses rods for locking and the LEER uses two latches which is probably why its easier to lock.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Night_Runner
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, and the wire that runs to my latches goes from the handle, to a tunnel in between the walls of the structure all the way to the latches...therefore, the wires dont get snagged on anything...my century had the rods, and they got bent fast.....

also, it does have a release handle from the inside...just incase....i go camping a lot and figure i can just sleep in the back of my truck...well if something happens and my tonneau get shut on me, i can get out by pullin the release handle...

honestly, after owning this leer (a century on my old ram, friends with ARE, and seeing that poorly mounted and crafted *******), i would not purchase anything other than leer when it comes to caps/tonneaus

edit
btw, thanks for the compliments

Quick Reply: LEER or ARE Tonneau Question?