3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Uh oh....the check engine light is on...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Silverquad02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh oh....the check engine light is on...

Ok, today I jumped in my truck to go visit a customer and my check engine light stayed on. So I jump into advanced auto and have them scan me and the OBD2 returns a code of P1491. Aux. Emission. What does this mean. I've been searching the web and the best I can come up with for that code is radiator fan relay curcuit. Ironically enough the lovely lady at Advanced auto said her husband's Ram had a code and it was a radiator fan curcuit. It cost $600. Not good. Anyone know specifically what the code means and whether or not I am screwed.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, forgot to add the truck information in my original post.
02 Quad Cab
4.7L 4x4
42,000 miles

Old 10-06-2004, 02:12 AM
drtelco
Professional
Default RE: Uh oh....the check engine light is on...

If not under warranty you can rewire the circuit and install a switch inside the truck. A $5.00 switch is much better than $600.00 dollars...keep us informed on what happens....

Old 10-06-2004, 05:27 AM
Arcane
Rookie

Make sure your gas cap is completely tightened, And I think it takes three starts and stops before the Code will go away if the problem has been resolved.

Your dealer should fix this for free. I cant imagine you have gone over 70,000 miles already...

Old 10-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Silverquad02

I am not convinced that it has anything to do with the radiator fan....what does the radiator fan control curcuit have to do with emissions.

I went to Advanced Auto again last night and had them clear out the code. I had no problems and even gassed up the truck and drove around a bit. This morning however the nasty light was back on. It's cool this morning at about 45 degrees. Would the seal on the gas cap be affected by the temperature? How much is a gas cap?

Still hoping someone who works at or with a dealer can let me know what specifically the code refers to.

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Silverquad02

Ok, I broke down and went to the dealer....after some huffing and puffing here's what I learned. My code P1491 refers to the AC condenser fan circuit. The price to fix is $550. Apparently there is a service bulletin out on this issue....TSB 08-002-03. The light is on because the fuse for the fan blew. And when we popped open the fuse block, there it was indeed.

I am definitely out of warranty, but since I have a TSB, does anyone think this can be fixed for free to me? Obviously DCX knows something is defective with this part.....think if I raise a big enough stink, I can get it fixed for free?

For the time being....I replaced the fuse and will be taking my time to find a good deal since it's getting into winter. Won't need AC for a while.

Anyone else have this issue? How many miles?

Old 10-07-2004, 07:24 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

You can raise all the stink you want but it probably won't get fixed for free.
TSB's are to keep the technicians informed of common problems and difficult to trace problems.
They are not an admission of widespread defects.

Quick Reply: Uh oh....the check engine light is on...