3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EGR valve already??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:18 PM
nuttyprofessor
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR valve already??????

Well....had the check engine light come on in my 05 qc ram with the Hemi. Since it's still under warranty I let the dealer fix it along with my lumbar seat adjuster since that broke tooo. Turned out the check engine light was the EGR valve.

Anyway I went camping this past weekend and spoke with two other 05 Ram owners who had their EGR valves go also. Everyone of us has less then 20k miles on our trucks and were quite surprised to see this. I have4 other cars that still have their original EGR valves (2 of which have over 100k mileson them) and all of them pass emissions testing also.

Is this another example of Dodge's "value engineering"? or is it just a fluke that 3 people with basically the same truck had the same dang problems. Are the EGR's known for going on a regular basis? i.e. I should buy stock in the EGR manufacturer?

Just curious to see if anyone else had the problem also and if anyone had any other problems once the valve wasrepaired?

Old 07-12-2007, 07:39 PM
chadmech28
Professional
Default RE: EGR valve already??????

I work at a dodge dealer I have replace hundreds of them before 60,00km, all chrysler products have egr failures. This is very common.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

36k on my '04 w/o an EGR issue yet, but I would still have to concur about the Chrysler products having issues with the EGR. I've had 4 Jeeps (1 wrangler, 1 liberty & 2 grand cherokees) and 3 of the 4 needed replacement by 36k. The only one that didn't was the Liberty and when I was married, my wife "had to have one of those cute Liberty's" when they came out, then hated it. So we traded it in on another Grand Cherokee when it had like 18k miles, so it very easily could have been 4 of 4 by 36k...

Old 07-13-2007, 08:31 AM
rhlanham
Amateur

Mine went out on my 04 with 48k.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
jleonard
Professional

I just had mine done on my 05 with 47000 miles. The dealer changed the whole TB first only to learn that it was just the EGR. No cost to me though. Is there an aftermarket EGR or contraption that is available to keep from changing these so often??

Old 07-13-2007, 05:15 PM
1beastnstl
Rookie

ORIGINAL: jleonard

I just had mine done on my 05 with 47000 miles. The dealer changed the whole TB first only to learn that it was just the EGR. No cost to me though. Is there an aftermarket EGR or contraption that is available to keep from changing these so often??
When the STEALERship took care of this, did they do it under warrenty or did you have to fight with them to get it done?

Quick Reply: EGR valve already??????