3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CAI conclusion and ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 PM
bigdave4269
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAI conclusion and ?

i just installed an airade cold air intake. Before installation i got on the highway set the cruise on 60mph waited a mile and then reset thempg computer and after 10 miles i got a reading of 15.3 mpg. I then installed the airade in a half an hour and did the same test. i got a reading of 16.2 mpg. Almost a mpg more. The biggest difference noticed is that my stock exhaust got alot louder. I could feel the rumble in my acceleration pedal and that when i laid into the gas a lil bit. Seemedthere was all noise and no power. Think it was better stock. Engine seemed tobog down some instead of getting power to get up and go. Is this common? Is this what i was suppose to expect?thanks for your time

dave

Old 07-17-2007, 11:57 PM
sa1765
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAI conclusion and ?

i didn't go through the trouble (foresight) to check mileage before my CAI install, i just did it and went on. but, by taking off the intake resonator, it did get louder under load (not the exhaust, the gurgling under the hood) and made it anoying as hell...couldn't sleep on a road trip (good for driver, bad for passengers). as for not having any extra power or even a loss of power, i didn't notice anything....then i got the new exhaust and it woke the truck up...huge difference and the sound of the exhaust covers up the intake gurgle. i don't have a programmer, but i'm guessing it'll make even more of a difference

Old 07-18-2007, 08:29 PM
bigdave4269

Thats what i hear all the gurgling under the hood. Very annoying! What kind of exhaust did you end up getting? One or 2 pipes? About how much did it cost? Can i just replace the stock muffler and leave the stock pipes for more flow? Thak you so much for your time

Old 07-18-2007, 10:22 PM
bigdave4269

anyone?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Mattcmdr
Professional

I got a Gibson Super Truck exhasut love it. Alot of guys get a 40 series and just get someone to cut the old one out and weld a new one it they seem to like it, but thats not for me.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Remmy
Rookie

After I put my CAI on it also felt like I lost some low end. Even after the exhaust it still seems to bog. I don't know if it really is bogging out or it just seems that way from the noise of the intake & exhaust.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:56 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I started out with a borla system before I added my intake and with just the exhaust I noticed a difference but after i added the cai it really woke the truck up. It gave it better throttle responce, more passing power/get-up-and-go,made the exhaust sound alot better, it completely got rid of the anoying drone at 2000rpm. In my opinion adding a cai really only works the best if you have an exhaust system as well and vise versa.

The only thing I would suggest is that you make sure that you reset the computer before you add/added the intake and if you haven't done it yet you need to do so cause it will help with the boggingfeeling.

Quick Reply: CAI conclusion and ?