3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Raptor brand nerf bar question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 PM
jeepking1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor brand nerf bar question

Does anyone else out there have Raptor brand tube steps on their Mega Cabs? As soon as I installed these, I started getting a jarring clunk when I hit a big bump. I'm pretty sure it's because of the little extra support brackets that go from the tube up to the rocker panel under the cab. I think there is enough flex that they are moving and jarring through the cab. I noticed that all the other brands I see on the road DO NOT have these extra brackets. I'm thinking about taking them off, but wondered if for some reason this brand really needs them. I like the idea of the extra support, but don't like the loud clunk.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: Raptor brand nerf bar question

I'm running them on a quad cab with no problems.
Check your body mounts.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:37 PM
jeepking1

Thanks, I have some free time next week, I will crawl back under the truck and make sure everything is tight. If that doesnt do the trick, I think I will try removing the extra supports and see if the set-up is still funtional without them.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:15 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

I would not remove the supports.
If I remember right I had to use the factory body bolts because the ones they supplied were too long and would not tighten properly. (bottom out before the body mount was tight)

Old 07-28-2007, 08:46 AM
jeepking1

I've still got the oem bolts, I may try that. They seem to be on there solid with no movement in the bars that I can feel, but I guess it wouldn't take but just a hair to result in driving clunk.

Quick Reply: Raptor brand nerf bar question