3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Going up 4.10 gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:21 PM
eltupac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going up 4.10 gears

I know one of yous did gears, hell I cant remember and am too lazy to search.
I read on the big brothers forum (the regular 3rd gen forum) about vibration on the driveshaft, funny sounds (like humming) etc.

I have questions cause I am going to 4.10s coming November.

The place I called wants to install a new carrier, is this true? Do I need one?

Then there is brands:
yukon, dana, sure grip, I read all of them and all sound good, which one is the best?

Should I get lockers? thats another $300 but I wont need a carrier($89), so the guy says. But then there is the concern with clips, shavings etc, etc. Also, people say there is a lot of wheel hop, is this true? someone said something about a bar can help, dont know what that is.

Will my driveshaft handle it? I have a 2 piece, will this need to be rebalanced?
I dont want that ****e to explode.

What the hell are splines and bolts? 30, 35, 29, what do those numbers mean?

I already did the rpm calculator and at 70, I'm below 2500, which is good. I do half of my driving in city so I think this will help since I have 20' wheels and I am getting taller tires. (no, I am not lifting).

Thanks all.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 PM
COYOTE10663
Professional
Default RE: Going up 4.10 gears

Hey man, How's the weather where you live? Reason I ask is becaus my old '89 fiso had a rear locker in it. Even with BRAND NEW BFG All Terrain tires it was a little scarry going around corners in the rain. And lockers SUCK driving in the snow!!!!! (Exept going in a straight line, then they are PERFECT)
If I were you, I would ether get an air locker so you can unlock the rear end when the extra traction is not needed, or try to get a factory Dodge posi-trac rear diff. My '07 has the factory posi, and I have been more than pleased with it. Especially off road. I got stuck 1 time. BOTH back tires dug all the way down untill the axle was seting on the ground, so I know for a fact the Dodge posi worked. On the street it works great. And I am glad you are getting the 4.10 gears. I personnaly prefer DANA's. I'm just old fasioned I guess, but that company has been around for a long time. And I see ther name on a lotof drag racers and pulling trucks, so they must be stout.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 AM
marv02
Captain

If you going to drive on the street DO NOT GET A LOCKER a good limmited slip like alburn will do you fine,

As for the Carrior the stock Dodgemitenot fit a 4.10 ring gear to thick or pinon mite hit it. #1 and plus if you do go with a good aftemarket carrior you have a lot less rear failurs the stock rear ends are junk the spider gears are know to break to stock posi units work but if you going to spend the cash get a good strong rear end so you never have put cash it to it again.

As for splines they are talking about how many splines are on the axles where it go's in to the carrior at the c clips,

And for how many bolts thats how many bolts hold the ring gear to the carrior or just count the bolts on the inspection cover for the diff, if you take a look at the bolt pattren and the shape of the cover lot of the time they use this to know which diff you have in it.

Lockers are nosiy lock hard when they do engage have no give to them so when they do lock it's metal to metal after time something has to give it's not pretty, cost you big buck to get fixed this is for real off road not every day driver.

And if you do get a aftermaket rear end carrior you most likely woun't have the known Dodge rear end break downs.

Richman gears are good but very hard and wine, Last gear set I had put in were Yucons I was happy with them, also tryed a gear set from 4 wheel parts there house brand the ones the push cant rember the brand they were ok.

Most places that install gear sets unless you buy the whole gear and insalation kit from them they will notback them up my last truck they were in the rear end at least5 times to get it right they keep on getting bad pionnon bearing.

So purchase the whole regear from a loacl shop so if go's bad just make them fix it.

So all you have to do is shell out about a grand enjoy.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 AM
eltupac
All Star

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Going up 4.10 gears