3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Future Mods-NOS, Headers, Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:42 PM
dlpreston
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Mods-NOS, Headers, Chip?

Hola folks.

After looking through the Forum and reading online, I thought I would direct my concerns to everyone here in hopes of getting your thoughts and opinions on my Hemi mods.

I am (hopefully) planning to have these mods in place within 6 months depending of course on the final feedback you guys (and gals) give. So here it goes.

What I think I know:
Even thought the Federal Trade Commissions Act states warranties can not be voided by prodcuts certified (C.A.R.B. for example) that are in line with the EPA, I still have my doubts with dealerships....in the case of CAI, c.a.r.b headers, and chip or programmer, I feel I could argue and possible get my way if a warranty issue occurred. That being said, a dealer will blame an aftermarkter stereo for a lifter tick....[:@]

So what are everyone's thoughts and knowledge on:
Adding nitrous? I have read up on the Zex system which uses the Hemi platform to gain 75-125 hp pending the jets used. This is a very attractive product...however, unless I were able to remove this system prior to any warranty work (engine related or not), I feel I would be screwed in the future.

That being said, I am set on getting the headers and possilbe high flow cats...I am not worried of warranty void, but am prepared to get hassled regardless (if I need a warranted item addressed).

In regards to a chip or pc module, I know if you have nitrous, this will be set up differently than say (for instance) a Jet Chip stage 1. I am not completely understanding the timing retard of a few degrees when doing nitrous to eliminate the lean mixture ( I know lean is bad due to more air than fuel)???...but think I understand premium fuel and a performance module chip is needed for the 'performance mode (octane 92 or higher)' for the nitrous and other mods to be completely utililized 100%?

The bottom line concern I have is which chip or programmer is best for a nitrous application so when I hit the track on a weekend, I simply adjust (or plug) the chip or module, spray the NOS, and haul @$$ away. The CAI, Headers, and high flow muffler should give me the extra hp and torqu when towing and daily driving.

Thoughts? Did I miss anthything? Suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Future Mods-NOS, Headers, Chip?

Why in the hell would you want nitro on a truck? You want nitro try a rice rocket.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:42 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Nitro equals affordable horsepower. I can understand it as I was planning on making it happen on my 72 mustang after I finish building my motor for it. best thing would be research all the various manufacturers websites to see what chip/programmer will be best for you.
I run diesel and I am torn between methonal and propane, I can do nitrous on it but before I even consider something like that I need to drop a lot of money on a nice performance transmission. I would like to pay off the truck before doing that.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Tyler24

I'm kind of the same way I was thinking about putting water-methanol and nitrous on my truck (2005 5.7L Hemi) but when I called the people at "Snow Performance" and "NX Nitrus" they said with stock head gaskets your motor will not be able to handle any more then a 50 shot or at the VERY most 75 shot and running water-methanol is kind of stupid unless you have a turbo. So do somemore research on it befor you start blowing up your motor to run a quick time at a track if you want to run quick times get a car...

Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 PM
beerformeplz
Rookie

You want to install nitrous on your motor and then expect the dealership to warranty your motor after you blow it up? And people wonder why everything is so expensive these days.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM
dlpreston
Rookie

Thanks for the reply guys.

Beer, as I mentioned above, once nitrous is in, there is no warranty.The intention of myexplanation above was for both nitrous and non-nitrous warranty issues...I may have missed the point I wanted though.

Ricer-roni....no thanks. Last I checked, 85% of all classic American muscle cars (and trucks) shoot nitrous at the track. Besides, isn't the Neon an American ricer...c'mon.
I simply asked for everyone's input and suggestions when comparing all these items, not a beating. If all you have is an opinion ofhow you view people whouse nitrous, keep it tucked under your chin and to yourself if you have nothing else to offer that isn't mechanically sound info.

I am a little surprised...85% of all my research was on this board and with the exception of classic fears of nitrous (usually misuse or installed incorrectly), most folks understood the bang for the buck and the occasional track use.
As I post this, I am still reaching out to fellow hot-rodders and other sites for input and found most decisions to be 50/50. I may end up sinking all the cash into an awesome header and cat back system and a programmer (my original plan).
The nitrous gig started as an idea to weigh all possibilities that are bolt on. In regardds to the type of nitrous system, the Zex 75 shot (actually about 65hp shot due to the jetsfrom other boards) would be the max I went....if I went that route. Even the wife has said if it weren't for the warranty issue, it would be a go (and I agree, hence my post).
I am simply weighing pro's and cons and looking to you guys for additional thoughts or experience since I will (hopefully) have the funds sooner that originally thought.

Thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Future Mods-NOS, Headers, Chip?