3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 Radio Removal! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 PM
biglg
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Radio Removal! Please help!

Ok, I have had two 2005 Rams and I know the 07's are different. I have read threads of people giving the steps for the 2002-2005 rams for the newer interior 06-07's.

Is removing the factory radio on the new 07 dash as simple as just popping out the little silver or woodgrain surround bezel that wraps around the radio? I thought I would ask before i go to breaking everything.

Also, this 07 I picked up yesterday seems to run a lot better than my 05 hemis did. Same engine, same gears? My 07 seems to have a lot more torque or something. It also doesnt downshift nearly as often. Seems to be more powerful! What is the changes that I dont know about. Sorry, enough rambling!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Radio Removal! Please help!

Its not as easy on an 07 as on an 05. There are 2 screws in the bottom of the bezel that are tough to get to without a fair amount of work. You can pull the top of the bezel out enough to get the radio out but you have to be very careful of the ac vents. Do it the right way to get the 2 screws out that come up through the bottom of the bezel, then you can leave them out and not have the hassle the next time. I have done this many times and can have it out in less than 5 minutes. But it toook a little longer the first time. When you take the 2 screws out ot #2 in the first picture, you have to pull down on it to get it off..
REMOVAL

WARNING:On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, seat belt tensioner, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
If equipped, remove the floor console, (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL) .
Remove the cup holder if equipped, (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/CUP HOLDER - REMOVAL) .
On vehicles with a close out panel, remove the screws (3) and remove the close out panel (2).

Remove the screws (2).
Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, disengage the retainer clips that secure the instrument panel center bezel (1) to the instrument panel.

Disconnect the wire harness connectors (4) and remove the center bezel from the vehicle.

REMOVAL
Mini Floor Console

If equipped, remove the 4WD gear shift boot (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/4WD FLOOR SHIFT BOOT - REMOVAL) .
If equipped with a manual transmission, remove the transmission gear shift lever extension.
Remove the console inserts, if equipped.

Remove the bolts (2) that secure the rear console (1) to the floor panel.
Lift up the rear of the floor console to clear the gear shift lever, if equipped.

Remove the bolts (2) and separate the front console (3) from the floor.
Separate the front clips (1) and remove the mini console.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 PM
biglg
Professional

Thanks for the instructions. I finally received the radio yesterday. It took me a total of 10 minutes to change the head unit out.

However, i went from the factory single disc to a factory6 disc, mp3, tape head unit. Now my speakers sound like crap. Does the factory 6 disc have more power than the factorysingle disk unit? It is strange, but i have the bass at -9 and it still distorts the factory speakers.

I have already ordered aftermarket speakers for the front and rear doors, but I would like to know the power output of the single and 6 disc factory units! Please let me know if anyone can help!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:56 PM
nuckingfuts22
Professional

Yes the 6 disk does have more power. Its very simple to change out your speakers and it took me about 3 hours to do it but that was with me fighting off my dogs from time to time because they kept getting in my truck. You will be very happy if you change out the speakers but dont go cheap! Get some good speakers and you will be very happy!

Quick Reply: 2007 Radio Removal! Please help!