3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New 07 1500 lift questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:45 AM
cfraser
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 07 1500 lift questions...

I just picked up a new 07 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn Ed. I am really happy with the truck, but am intersted in raising it (it will be my first raised vehicle). What I have typically seen here in the NorthWest is the 6" Fabtech lifts done by local Les Schwab shops for the Dodge dealers. I may go this route. My questions are: what can I expect to pay for a lift, what is a quality lift brand, can I use my stock 20" wheels but run new 35" off road tires,what issues should I be aware of with the lift when I eventually tow something? What other issues should I be aware of with the lift in general? Any other suggestions (yes, I have read other posts on this board)?

Should I possibly stick with stock and just add a leveling kit and maybe 33" tires with my stock wheels?

I appreciate any help!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: New 07 1500 lift questions...

You could fit 33's now, if you went 2" level kit you could step right up to 35's. A little tight, but they will fit without any rubbing. I have an '04 so our front ends are different (I have front torsion bars and you have coil overs) meaning you must use a different lift or level kit. As such, I'm not too familiar with what brands are doing a better job with your coil overs, maybe a few who have lifted their '06 or '07's will chime in. Most kits allow you to use your stock wheels but some do not, most brands state what the wheel specs must be for proper clearance.
A level kit is perfectly fine if you are simply looking to clear larger tires, but if you are going to do any kind of serious off roading then you should look into a suspension lift. Also, and I preach this all the time, as your truck (as well as mine) has independent front suspension (IFS), I strongly believe that 35" tires are as big as you should go. 37's & larger are just too big/heavy for our front end components to handle and you'll start breaking stuff with just moderate off road use. For tires of that size you should really have a solid front axle (2500 & 3500 series).

Old 09-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Roadglide

I had the Pro-Comp 6" lift w/ mx-6 shocks installed on my 07 bighorn 1/2 ton, i haven't changed rims or tires yet, that kit goes for around $2200.00 alone, plus instalation labor. Im not towing nothing, but just get a drop down gooseneck ball suitable for the trailer, ask your local hitch pro. You will lose a little bit of the ride, the same as if you lower a vehicle, im happy with mine, it all comes down to what you want and willing to spend to satisfy you, goodluck on your ram customization.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:49 PM
cfraser
Amateur

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the responses! One thing that concerns me is that I believe with the FabTech lift and possibly others that you raise the rear springs/rear endwith blocks. I've always considered that risky, especially when it comes to towing. Do I have any options with any of the lift kits?

Old 09-03-2007, 05:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I just did a quick search of all the name brand kits. None seem to have a lift kit that does not use rear blocks. It maybe that you'd just have to wait a while or have something fabricated for the rear. Skyjacker & Superlift both show sku's for 2004 & 2005 kits with rear add-a-leafs as an option but do not have a sku for their '06 & '07 kits. One thing's for sure, if & when available, you are now talking the upper tier of pricing.
That's one reason I opted for the Rancho 4", it gave me all the lift I wanted and my rear blocks at 2" are more stable than the 6" kits that utilize 4" rear blocks, IMO. I have a good buddy with a Chevy and the 6" Fabtec kit (chevy z71's need 6" to clear 35" tires) and his handling is not near as good as mine either on or off road, and he even will admit it. I don't know if the added lift causes this, or just a chevy vs. dodge, or Rancho vs. Fabtec, can't say for sure, but I suspect it's simply the added lift height.
If you simply want to level the front, clearing 35's, and retain the rear the way it is, you may want to look at the Rancho Quik Lift, I've read about half a dozen reviews on them and they have all been very positive. VERY inexpensive. Here's a link:
http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/RS999793.html

Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 AM
cfraser
Amateur

any other thoughts/suggestions?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 AM
88xj

you might want to check to make sure you can run your stock rims with the bigger tires you might need a rim with more back spacing that will make ur tires stick out more. Keep in mind this will throw mud and rocks down the side of your new truck.

Quick Reply: New 07 1500 lift questions...