3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What did you do to your ram today

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:04 AM
VaderPainter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What did you do to your ram today

I replaced the bulk oil CARmax uses with MOBIL 1 5W20 Synthetic and the NAPA filter with a fresh Purolator Pure Pro Filter PL30001 (large size) after reading the oil filter article crcarch set to me. I prefer the largeroil filtersto the smallerones that come stock on trucks. I have been using the larger FRAM PH8A style for many years on all my Dodges.

I also ordered a new set of 16 Champion Copper Core RE14MCC4 spark plugs as the ones in my truckhad not been changed in some time from the looks. Funny howmost parts storesstock the Platinums but not thefactory stockCopper Core. They tried hard to sell me Autolites and ChampionPlatinums when I didn't bite but I pull enough of those platinum plugs out of vehicles that dont call for them for drivability issues to know better. Besides why would I spend that kind ofmoney on plugs that are due to be changed every 30,000 miles. I will replace them tomorrow...

Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ozzy55

Just got back from Iraq yesterday and Drove my Ram for the first time, It was awesome nd im very happy I got a Dodge
Congratulations on your (hopefully) safe return. Thank you for serving your country. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 11-04-2007, 10:05 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

$67 worth of 89 and a dose of Gunk Fuel System Cleaner.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:30 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Polished aluminum billet gas door. Simple Green and Son of a Gun on themotor.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:53 PM
03 ram larame

Other than keep her spotless I have been spending the last teo days giv'n her the touch up paint treatment.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM
AppleCountyHemi
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First mod. Absolutly no performance or mileage gain just a nice reminder of our trip to Disney last week.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
VaderPainter
Rookie

I Finally got around to replaceing my spark plugs today, all 16 of them...LOL. What a job that was leaning over the front of my truck for about an hour. I noticed the old plugshad worn electrodes and a gap of .060, considering they are supposed to be gapped at .045 that is not good. They are supposedbe changed every 30,000 miles, since mine has 90,000, Ifigure they are most likley the originals.I should see better gas mileage and performace with the fresh plugs. I know it seems to sound smoother...

I did notice I had some oil build up in the throttle chamber and on the throttle plate. Looks like it has not been cleaned in a while or ever, still not bad for 90,000 miles in my opinion. I will clean it this weekend when I make my weekly trip to SUMMIT RACINGand pick my AIRAID intake tube and some throttle chamber cleaner.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

ORIGINAL: VaderPainter

I Finally got around to replaceing my spark plugs today, all 16 of them...LOL. What a job that was leaning over the front of my truck for about an hour. I noticed the old plugshad worn electrodes and a gap of .060, considering they are supposed to be gapped at .045 that is not good. They are supposedbe changed every 30,000 miles, since mine has 90,000, Ifigure they are most likley the originals.I should see better gas mileage and performace with the fresh plugs. I know it seems to sound smoother...

I did notice I had some oil build up in the throttle chamber and on the throttle plate. Looks like it has not been cleaned in a while or ever, still not bad for 90,000 miles in my opinion. I will clean it this weekend when I make my weekly trip to SUMMIT RACINGand pick my AIRAID intake tube and some throttle chamber cleaner.
Sounds like what my plug gaps looked like at 87K. You'll find the TB WAY easier to work on than plugs. On my '03, the PCV valve is back there, too. Might as well clean/replace that while you're there.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM
VaderPainter
Rookie

Well since I do work atCARmax and do know the requirements for vehicles going though the inspection process having been at it since 2001.I got to thinkin that I just purchased this vehicle with 90,000 miles on it and CARmax standards say that ifitis within 1000 miles of a sheduled service (90K Service) the vehicle should get that service if it hasnot already been performed. It is obvious that it was not done so I called and asked them about it today and they are going to reinburse me for my spark plugs ($42) and do a coolant and trans flush along with a throttle body clean (about $400 worth of work). That will save me some money and put my mind at ease before my trip to Tennessee for Thanksgiving.

WHEW!

I really like working in this business sometimes...

Old 11-07-2007, 03:45 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i started tinting my windows... than i noticed how crappy the tint was considering it was coming off witth the freakin squeegee!! [sm=bomb.gif][sm=smiley7.gif]

Quick Reply: What did you do to your ram today