3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diagnostic help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:59 PM
cdover73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic help PLEASE

I just had a problem cranking my truck. It would turn over but wouldn't start. It finally backfired under the hood and started up. I drove it home, shut it off, and plugged my Superchips tuner in to read the codes. What I found was alarming and am hoping ya'll can help me. The codes it threw are:

P0016 - Crank/camshaft mis-align/sync
P0456 - Evap leak monitor small (.20) leak detected
P0344 - Camshaft position sensor A circuit interm Bank 1 or single sensor
P0340 - No camshaft signal to PCM

I cleared the DTC's, dumped the stock tune back in, and started the truck. The check engine light came back on but the truck ran fine. I shut it down and read the codes again and found only the P0344. I'm hoping the problem is only a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor, but I'm afraid it may be more than that. The truck has been running fine EXCEPT it has been shuddering a little at stop signs and died once with my wife. I figured it was just a dirty throttle body like the other Dodge's I have owned.
BTW, the truck has 139,000 miles on it with only one problem so far - broken valve spring about 20,000 miles ago.

Please let me know if any of you have experienced this or may know what it is.

thanks,

Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: Diagnostic help PLEASE

It sounds like its just your cam sensor. If thats not operating right your computer is going to think your cam isnt running right...

Old 09-11-2007, 10:48 AM
cdover73
Rookie
Default RE: Diagnostic help PLEASE

It was the cam sensor. The dealership just called and told me it would be ready this evening. They want to run it to see if any other codes jump up. I do have a code regarding the evap canister, but they didn't say anything about it yet. Maybe once they run the codes it will come back up and they can fix that as well.
The only other problem I had was a leaking oil filter. It's a K&N filter and it's the first time I used one. I told them to put a Mopar filter on it run it.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic help PLEASE