3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Interchanges between earlier and newer 3rd gens...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007 | 12:21 AM
mn12sc35gh
|
Default Interchanges between earlier and newer 3rd gens...

Mainly looking at the grills on them, trying to decide what to do with the "work special" grill on my truck. I've seen some decent looking chrome ones on ebay, but they're telling me the 03-05 and the 06-07 are different. Anyone know for sure?

Also, has anyone ever tried to paint the black plastic grill on these? I'm considering that route, as the 3rd gens I've seen that are painted all around (like our TotM) look pretty nice. Caught a lime green one at work that was beautiful.

Old 09-16-2007 | 12:41 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Default RE: Interchanges between earlier and newer 3rd gens...

yeah i've always loved the painted grille...gives it a really clean look to it...chrome is nice as well, but i deffinitily like painted over chrome....as for the differences with the 03-05 to 06...i dont know for sure, but i think they changed em a lil bit but dont quote me on that

Old 09-16-2007 | 02:08 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Yes the grills were changed from 02-05 to 06-07. Not sure if they bolt up the same or not, they seem to be narrower by the appearance though...

Old 09-16-2007 | 11:46 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

The only difference that I found (and I found out this the hard way), is that the lower grill piece (near the bumper) is long and narrow at the ends of the '06 and '07's and earlier have it squared off. Other than that the 4 pieces that you get to bolt over your exhisting grill will fit. You will only have to worry about this if you try to order a kit the has the whole upper set along with the lower piece near the bumper.

I also ordered mine from ebay (grills4you) and they had a learning experience on this as well. All of there lower pieces came out squared and it did not fit mine correctly.

Quick Reply: Interchanges between earlier and newer 3rd gens...