3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing package extra cooling--is it different than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007 | 10:17 AM
topcop38
Professional
Default RE: Towing package extra cooling--is it different than stock?

i have the thunder road package with tow package and 3.92s.

Old 09-19-2007 | 10:59 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Good question. Can anyone advise if it's the same with the 2002 models? Cause my truck came tow ready.

Old 09-19-2007 | 11:27 AM
helopilot
Veteran

Let me clear up a few things cuz some of you are way off base. If you have the 04 or above 3.7, 4.7 or 5.7 engine then you will have the following setup whether you have the tow package or not. As you are looking at the front of the truck on the drivers side is the A/C condenser fan, it is the one with the electric fan behind it. Next, if you look at the passenger side the biggest one is the radiator,, the cooler on the bottom passenger side is the power steering oil cooler and the one above it is the tranny oil cooler. There are probably a couple of variations in sizes but that is how all of the should be setup.

If you want to go research some of these things, just go download the maintenance manual from Hemi Truck Club . com

Old 09-19-2007 | 12:02 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Is this for the Hemi's only? or does this apply to all models? I have the 02.

Old 09-19-2007 | 03:39 PM
a4twenty
Professional

ORIGINAL: minnesotamopar

a4twenty-- Is your trans cooler and fan mounted directly in front of your radiator?
You're right on the gears, I think. Nobody wants to tow a lot with tall gears so that would make sense.
I agree on the brake controller, that should be standard these days with a towing package.
i'm sorry guys, i just assumed that the one with the fan was the trans cooler. last week i wastowing 4+ tonnesand noticed alot more noise coming from the engine compartment, opened the hood and the fan was going crazy. the unfortunate part is the AC / defroster was not on.......... so this didn't seem to be an option.

it also is kind of annoying that my 14 year old GM 1/2 tonne pushed way more cold air without an electric fan but i guess thats progress

it would be so nice if you could get that brake controller mounted in the dash, probably wouldn't take any more room than the individualclimate controls.

Quick Reply: Towing package extra cooling--is it different than stock?