3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 02:03 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: throttle body spacer

ive never heard a positive review unless it was tested by the butt dyno...

Old 09-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Rabones22
Rookie

well morepower29 - try it out and let me know what you think. I personally think for people who drive their own vehicle daily (me), and you start modifying things, you'll notice a difference if there is one. Besides the fact that it made a different "sound", it definitely made a difference in torque (just by a few - but still noticeable). And the MPG reader on my truck did show like a .2-.5 gain.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Hi morepower
Welcome to da forums.

Don'tthe 4.7 guys get some performance increase out of them?

Sorry about yer truck gettin vandalized...

Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is interesting that throttle body spacers on Dodge Magnum engines have gone past
"the tipping point"
and now everyone parrots the line that they don't do anything.

There is nothing wrong with the engineering theory of a spacer adding to the "plenum volume" of an engine's intake manifold...except that Dodge engines already have the largest plenum volume intake designs in the industry and adding additional does not do much at all.

Another way of saying this is:
"Chrysler engineers believe in throttle body spacers so they added a whopping big one right from the factory."

I believe that the throttle body 'tipping point' came when a few Dakota owners in Texas did some rear wheel dyno tests before and after adding a throttle body spacers on a 3.9V6 and found no gain. This info went onto the Dakota Mailing List several years ago and afterwards throttle body spacers always got more and more bad mouthed from then on...and note that it is 99.99% by people who have never tested a throttle body spacer personally.

A large number of aftermarket CAI's have also been rear wheel dyno tested by volunteers
(who didn't work for magazines or were gettng kickbacks from manufacturers) and found to give either no or very little power gain. No cai manufacturer has ever proven a MPG increase from a cai, despite them being around for years. No automaker has ever added a cai and then advertised that it improved MPG for that model year....although they have advertised dozens of other mods as improving MPG.

But throttle body spacers still sell in large numbers...amount to millions of $ per year. There is not a week that a post does not talk about them. Same thing with cold air intakes.

Both scams work by exploiting vehicle owners lack of a good way of evaluating them. If vehicles had some additional gauges on the dashboard...like a MAP gauge or an IAT gauge...perhaps the scams would fall apart quicker.

Perhaps it is a very good trend that the Dodge Charger has a factory installed 'Info Center' that gives MAP and IAT readings at the push of a few buttons?

There would be a lot of scams on coolants, radiator gizmos and thermostats if dashboards did not have a coolant temperature gauge...and more and more vehicles don't have that temp gauge anymore and just have a confusing 'Engine' warning light.

Image how many more MPG scams would be out there if vehicles did not have a fuel level gauge...and I can remember when the first VW beetles did not have fuel gauges.

Most scams of all types eventually reach a
"Tipping Point"
where people speak up to bad mouth it
when it is discussed by newbies

Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey HankL,
You post alot of great information, but I have no idea what kind of vehicle that you have and what you have done to it. Can you post up what you own and what you have done to it please? Thanks,,,

Old 09-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

^^^ Don't hold yer breath on that one L and R ^^^

Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 AM
biglg
Professional

I have had spacers and intakes on all my 5.7L rams. One thing I found strange is how everyone said it was a paperweight.

One intake I had was the AEM Brute Force and it included a power spacer! AEM says they only include the spacer if they test and it makes an improvement in performance. Some of their kits have the spacer, some dont. The kit for the 05 HEMI included the spacer. Obviously their testing showed it was a benefit! Just my .02!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Rabones22
Rookie

I'm lost with HankL's response. He said that 99.99% bad mouth it because they don't truly know from personal experience about the throttle body spacer, but they posts 'facts' that when people dyno with the throttle body spacer that it does nothing? So 99.99% of the people that bad mouth it are doing it without knowing but are right on ? Is that what he's trying to say.

Look, all I know is I haven't dyno'd my throttle body, but if you notice a difference. . . you notice one. I did.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:21 PM
BLACKTRX4
Rookie

The only thing they are good for is making that obnoxious sound.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rabones22

I'm lost with HankL's response. He said that 99.99% bad mouth it because they don't truly know from personal experience about the throttle body spacer, but they posts 'facts' that when people dyno with the throttle body spacer that it does nothing? So 99.99% of the people that bad mouth it are doing it without knowing but are right on ? Is that what he's trying to say.

Look, all I know is I haven't dyno'd my throttle body, but if you notice a difference. . . you notice one. I did.
What I get out of his post is this: How many people abovewho have called it a paperweight, cup-holder, etc. actually installed one and dyno'd before and after? Probably not many, it's just that we've all read and heard that they are useless so we pass this on without actually testing it.Those, like yourself, who like it, feel there is a difference. Good on ya, that's all that matters. The question is, if I didn't tell you that I installed one, but I really did, would you have noticed a difference? Or if I installed one, but really didn't, would you have said you felt it? In modern engines, marketing hype is more powerful then anything. Think about it, somebody out there still believes in the Tornado despite all the independent testing to the contrary.

Quick Reply: throttle body spacer