3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cb radio killing truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:49 PM
JBird04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb radio killing truck

My cousin has a ?2003? dodge ram 2500 diesel. He recently put a cb radio in and everytime he trys to talk on it, it starts to kill the truck. He can hear other people talking to him, but when he hits the talk button on the cb, the truck starts to die. Anyone have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:35 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker
Default RE: cb radio killing truck

Where is the CB unit mounted? Sonds like there is an RFI problem. Take the CB loose from its mounting brackets and set it up in between the front seats and try to transmit. See if it still kills it then.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:33 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CB! People still use those things? Get a cell phone man.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:32 AM
JBird04

I believe that the cb is mounted under the dash around the radio area. I will tell him to try and relocate it. Thanks.

mopartodd, the cb is nice to have when we go on riding (ATVs) trips and we need to talk to each other on the road. they are cheaper too. it is also funny to hear some of the truckers talking to each other.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:35 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I know. I had one in this old car to the left until a year ago. They are cool to have if you're out away from everything and need to talk to someone.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:16 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

They're popular with the Mexican truckers down here. But if you don't "habla Tex-Mex" you're SOL....

Old 11-05-2004, 11:01 PM
david
Amateur

I am a Ham Radio operator and have never had any problem like that. Where is the antenna mounted? Make sure the radio is getting a good ground. Also,moving the radio could help.
By the way, a cb will work when a cell phone won't. Most people don't understand when the phone line goes your cell phone wont work.

Old 11-06-2004, 08:37 PM
farx

My CB hhas helped me many times on trips to texas from Delaware. a couple months ago some one said "look out old dominion, there a pick up liner in the grannie lane.The old dominion was a double trl rig i had just passed. I looked & there was the pick up liner in front of me I,m sure I would have run over it or made a dangerous maneuver,but I had that LITTLE bit of extra time.On the way home I-81 was closed due to an accident & I followed truckers advice & got off I-81 & kept moving.

Was was in my Dodge conversion van at the time . I plan to install a CB in my new 2004 QC 4x4 with hemi & a radar detector for those long trips.

Old 11-08-2004, 01:54 AM
david
Amateur

Thought I would pass on some info from chrysler on installing a two way radio. Go to www.arrl.org/tis/info/rficar.html

Old 11-08-2004, 02:32 PM
JBird04

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I know he has the antennas mounted on both sides of the bed near the cab. I haven't talked to him yet about trying to move the radio to see if that helps.

Quick Reply: cb radio killing truck