3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 AM
sstclair00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help troubleshooting

I have a 2006 1500 2wd 4.7....and I need help troubleshooting a vibration or shimmy! When I am pulling out from a stop...and turning the wheel either left or right I feel a vibration upon acceleration. It doesn't feel like a powersteering thing....but more like the rear end??? It isn't a big vibration, but just enough to feel it!

So if anyone has ideas or had this problem let me know where to start!!!???

Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 AM
OldMoparMan
Veteran
Default RE: Need help troubleshooting

When was the last time you changed your rear axle oil?

If you have an LSD rear, after awhile, the additive that keeps the posi clutch plates from chattering, gets old. When it does, the rear "chatters" like you're describing. It'll do that as well, if you change the fluid and decline to put the additive back in.

Few bucks and generally 3-5 onces will do.....

Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
sstclair00

Good point...I just hit 30K so that is due!!! Didn't even think about that and I had the same issue with a previous Nissan truck with bad synthetic fluid in the rear!

Any recommendations on fluid?

Old 10-03-2007, 01:17 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

I used synthetic. The 2500-3500 trucks get it from the factory and the changing intervals are 30K, not every 15K.

I've read here that Amsoil has the posi additive already in it. A few others might as well. Hopefully others can chime in and give you more options.

I bought mine from the dealership, but changed it myself, and added the posi additive as well.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
nastyram
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

also why you are under their it wouldn't hurt to check the u-joints,they to can cause similar feelin to what your feelin

Quick Reply: Need help troubleshooting