3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

getting the ram ready for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007 | 09:15 AM
cpukramer
Captain
Default RE: getting the ram ready for winter

I get my truck sprayed with oil before the winter .. It's called RustStop in our area and it's available at a bunch of collision shops. Costs about $99 but it is well worth it. They coat the underbody of your truck and the inside of your door panels, etc with an oil that prevents salt from getting to the metal and rusting your truck. I've had it done every year and I don't have one speck of rust. The best part is that if you get your truck sprayed every year there is a no-rust guarantee where if your truck ever rusts at all they will fix it free of charge. Here is a link with more info http://www.schmidtsautobody.com/rustop.asp

Old 10-05-2007 | 02:49 PM
SLCHemi
Professional

All good advice from those above....Just one other thing...Don't panic! Stay calm and don't over compensate. Slow throtle and light brake with a cool head will keep you safe. And as the others have said, watch for the idiots. Where I'm from (Utah) it has already snowed once, and it never ceases to amaze me how even people who have lived here there entire lives turn into complete fools when there is bad weather...

And, an empty parking lot with fresh snow or ice is just begging for some doughnuts You gotta do it at least once just to say you did !

Old 10-05-2007 | 04:56 PM
hemivec
|
Professional

drivin on snow easy ican cope drivin in thati was wondering with the auto transif it was more a case of just stick it in D and go or are you better setting off in 2 and switch to d when you get moveing was what i was thinking about with the auto it not like i can control the clutch like i could in the manual trans

Old 10-05-2007 | 05:06 PM
motorider228
Champion

you will be fine with the auto trans in drive. I lived in the Kansas city area for a while which gets much more snow and ice than the boot heel and it was never that bad. If you are real worried just get some sandbags and you will be fine. Just drive with the tranny in drive and pay attention. Real easy. I never did any of that stuff because although Missouri winters do get pretty cold and can suck, they are kind of mild compared to alot of the country.

Old 10-05-2007 | 05:22 PM
Max Power
Professional

LOL....Missouri ain't winter.

Old 10-05-2007 | 05:59 PM
motorider228
Champion

ORIGINAL: Max Power

LOL....Missouri ain't winter.
I live in Vegas now and people here think we get "frigid" winters. Haha yeah, 50 degrees is sooooo frigid.

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:18 PM
nozmadd0x
Veteran

I live in Ohio and we get some bad storms from time to time. i also have a 4x2 and just throw the snow from the drive into the bed. throw it in d and dont worry about it. i also like to drive my 5 speed ford ranger becuase you have more control with the clutch but an auto is just fine. besides, the dodge is soo musch more fun to do dough-nuts in parking lots in.

Old 10-15-2007 | 05:39 PM
healy886

Two words: New Jersey

I used to drive an SUV and this will be my first winter driving my 04 QC. Its 4x4 so I'm not that worried, and I'm definetly doing the sand bags.

Old 10-15-2007 | 07:42 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

I actually wrote a long list of stuff and made itfunny, only to lose it when I tried to post it. Crap!

Anyway, make yourself a cold weather kit out of wood and toss everything in it and them some it will add some weight too. Just don't forget Sporks and Beanie Weenies.

Oh, and watch out for the Amish.

Old 10-16-2007 | 05:03 PM
BIG HOOK
Professional

OldMoparMan pretty much summed things up as did the other responses. I second the sandbags in the bed. Place one or two behind each wheelwell and you'll be good for the winter. Never had problem with them moving around but I guess you could connect a couple of bungie cords over them as insurance from becoming projectiles in case of an accident. You'd have to have the inside bed loops or hooks in there to do that though. The rust prevention oil application sounds interesting. I've always just kept my trucks washed regularly throughout the winter, especially the underside. Touchless and selfwash quarter car wash places are great for keeping the salt off during the coldest days. Wisconsin winters teach you a thing or two!

Quick Reply: getting the ram ready for winter