3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AMP power steps

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007 | 12:16 AM
Chet Ubetcha
|
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Default AMP power steps

After much searching and reviewing of what would best fit my needs, I've decided on the AMP Research electric powered steps. I'm not opposed to having hard mounted step bars, but I haven't found any that come down far enough or stick out wide enough to provide the step area I need. These look like they are going to fit that bill perfectly!

http://www.electricstep.com/eshop/pc...?idCategory=28

Right now I am having to enter on the passenger side so I can get my left leg in the truck and push myself up on the seat with my left hand while pulliing on the A-pillar handle with my right. Then I swing my legs over the transfer case shifter and scoot my whole body over. It's worked so far. It's not exactly *convenient*, but it works. I haven't dropped my crutches yet trying to get in, thankfully. If I do... I'm ****ed!

The hand controls work great. It takes a bit of thinking to drive it because we are hardwired from day 1 to use our feet for gas/brake, but it's really not difficult to use. I was on the highway and in traffic in about half an hour. It's great being able to drive again! I still have to put some pictures up in the hand controls thread. I'll get to that hopefully this weekend.

For those wondering what the hell is going on here, I was in an accident last year and I lost my right leg above the knee. My left knee and ankle were completely destroyed, but the leg was saved. So, I'm rollin' right now on a bitchin' prosthesis on the right side, and a really weak left leg. Had I known that I was going to get into this accident two weeks after getting my truck lifted, I might have reconsidered...

Old 10-05-2007 | 02:28 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker
Default RE: AMP power steps

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Ill have to look into those, let me know how they work out if you install them. my gf isnt exactly the tallest specimen and is already complaining that the nerfs dont go down far enough. It will only get worse after the lift.

Old 10-05-2007 | 02:53 AM
Chet Ubetcha
|
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Hey... that's life. At least I've still got mine!

I'll definitely give a good write up and review with pictures when I get them in and get them installed. I might combine it all into one thread... "How To Make A Lifted 4x4 Handi-capable".

Old 10-06-2007 | 10:04 PM
Dragonrep
Amateur

Let me know how the pricing and install go. My wife broke her back a while back, she can get around fine but getting in and out of the truck is a bit of a struggle. I looked at the dealer version of these when we bought the truck, but they wanted over $3000 + installation costs. Right now we have the nerfs and a step stool (painted red to match the truck at the wife's command ) but that gets to be a pain when the kid isn't around to pick them up after she gets into the truck.

Old 10-07-2007 | 02:46 PM
Chet Ubetcha
|
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

I will definitely let you know how it works out. I feel your pain, man. I carry around a step stool in the back seat, and have used it before! Try this: Get a long piece of rope or 550 chord (military/camping types will know what 550 chord is) and tie it to the stool and tie the other end to the headrest support on top of the seat. Then she can just "reel it up" when she is in the truck. It's not pretty, but it works!

I'm not sure if it shows in that link, but I got them for $1100 +/- (free shipping!). I'm going to have a buddy install them for me. If worse comes to worse I'll take the truck to an accessory place and pay to have them install it. This is the cheapest I've found these for, even off of ebay.

Old 10-08-2007 | 10:57 PM
hemiman07
Professional

For all those interested. I just had AMP Powersteps installed about 2 months ago. The best investment so far. My truck has a 6 inch lift and my wife is only 5 foot. She has no trouble at all getting in now. They drop down pretty far and fold up out of the way. Had them installed at my local Four Wheel Parts for $1900. Here are some pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17829/B45D1F5FCB1D41C381FB35801CFADA02.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17829/72E050150F5D42CFB61AE0CCE37B69F9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-08-2007 | 11:44 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Sharx Ram has them installed as well. I have done some work on his truck and they are great.

Old 10-10-2007 | 07:32 PM
Dragonrep
Amateur

That beats the prices I've seen around. I've thought about using paracord to tie to the steps, but I've had problems with that stuff fraying after a while. I'll hit the local adventure store and try the 550. She props one of her legs up on the stool in the cab, so getting it into the backseat isn't a problem, just getting it there after I'm already in the seat and my minds already moved on and forgotten it. She won't let me forget though![sm=bangbang.gif]

Quick Reply: AMP power steps