3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questiosn About Dodge Ram Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 AM
joe_black
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questiosn About Dodge Ram Transmissions

Hey all, I recently purchased a2002.5(New Body Style)Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9L Auto Trans and I noticed that it clunks into gear when I go from park to reverse or reverse into drive. Is this a common thing with them? I also noticed sometimes the little circle that identifies what gear your in will not iluminate and the truck will stay in nutral. It kind of sounds to me like the ecm is going out.... Let me know what your thoughts are the truck has about 91k miles on it.

Thanks
Joe

Old 10-08-2007, 12:19 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Questiosn About Dodge Ram Transmissions

Were you parked on a slight grade? (hill) Someone on here mentioned, that if you're going to park on a hill, you should depress the parking braking before shifting to park..
Maybe someone else will chime in on the topic.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Well if theres too much play in your drive shafts... thats'll sometimes give you a clunk... But like NY said hills will do it as well... and even puttin your foot on the brake does'nt always help... But the gear selecter could just be a loose wire or a bad switch somewhere... Goodluck

Old 10-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yea good luck is all I can say when it comes to auto trannies. dodge has issues with autos at least from what i've seen. they are fair at best. but I drive stick so i don't worry about it.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Every brand has it's strengths and weaknesses. Chysler's achilles heal has always been it's auto tranny's. Strongest, longest lasting gas engines on the planet and doo doo transmissions. Although I think the reputation has gotten a good bit worse than the reality of it though.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:06 PM
deanj287
Captain

check the u joints. also if the truck is idling higher than normal, your almost always gona get a clunk. my bet is the u joints

Old 10-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Every brand has it's strengths and weaknesses. Chysler's achilles heal has always been it's auto tranny's. Strongest, longest lasting gas engines on the planet and doo doo transmissions. Although I think the reputation has gotten a good bit worse than the reality of it though.
I definately agree with that. doo doo trannies and great engines.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:41 PM
joe_black

Alright fellas, thanks for the inpt. I wasn't parked on any grade itwas on flat. I think the U-Joints may be loose. I spoke with my buddy who has a daytona and he told me his truck does it also, and he said the drive shafts hollow design also causes it to be a bit louder.

Thanks again!
-Joe

Quick Reply: Questiosn About Dodge Ram Transmissions