3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Cooling Fans

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Max Power
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electric Cooling Fans

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Can't speak for all of them but the Flex-A-Lite is temperature controlled. It has a probe you insert in the radiator and then you can set it to come on / shut off at any temp. you want. I believe the docs suggest you set it for 10* under your thermostat. So, since I did a 180* stat at the same time, I set the fan's t-stat for 170*. Works flawlessly.
You can also purchase a manual on/off switch for the dash, although I didn't see the need for one personally. I can see a use for it though if you cross water a lot or do some deep muddin', as you can cut the fan off so as to not suck crap in.

Good info Hammer. Does the probe go inside the radiator or just poke through the fins? I have always preferred the internal sensor over the probes, as they are more accurate, although if it is adjustable, I guess one could compensate for it.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:00 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

So who would you get to install one of these E fans?
Easy install, and the docs that come with the fan are really good. This is one you need to try to do yourself, if you can't do this one, then you better get used to paying for ALL your mod labor.

I was involved in serious accident not to long ago. So right now, installs like this one, which wouldn't have been a problem before the accident, is now. So how much would a install like this one cost?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:38 PM
kalrod23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this void the factory warranty? Seems like it may. I have an 07 with the lifetime warranty and to void that would be a major bummer.

JD

Old 10-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Max Power
Professional

So who would you get to install one of these E fans?
Easy install, and the docs that come with the fan are really good. This is one you need to try to do yourself, if you can't do this one, then you better get used to paying for ALL your mod labor.

I was involved in serious accident not to long ago. So right now, installs like this one, which wouldn't have been a problem before the accident, is now. So how much would a install like this one cost?

I'm not sure anyone here can answer to what the labor rates are in the shops in your area.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As far as install goes, it is a very simple install, and should not take any experienced mechanic more than an hour or two. If that helps at all.

As far as warranty issues, the burden is on the dealership to prove that the modification caused the problem that you are seeking warranty service for. So, for instance, you put an e-fan in and your rear differential blows apart on the road. They could not, in any wild stretch of the imagination say that your installing a fan had anything to do with it. Even if you had a cooling system issue, they would have to prove that the fan in some way caused it. Now if your aftermarket fan stops working and you don't watch your temp gauge and then ignore your check engine light and overheat causing damage, they'll probably get you there.

And as for Max Power, it's a probe, poked through the fins. Fairly accurate though, we put a reader in the PCM port and it shows to be turning on at about 174. As this is still under my Jet 180* T-Stat, I left it alone, I installed the control box in a tight spot, I have to adjust by feel and cannot see it, so I let it be, it's close enough. You could install it on the shroud or somepace where it's easy to get to though, and fine tune it in exactly where you want it. Hell, I know a guy who put one in, and didn't use the probe, has it running all the time. Has the optional switch on his dash, but never touches it. He also lives in Fl. and it doesn't hurt a thing running all the time here. Takes a few minutes more to warm up to temp, but other than that, no issues. Wouldn't want it that way up north in winter though.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM
lewpuckett
Professional

have not had the time to install or get one yet but they appear to be beneficial to hp gain and not too difficult to instll from what i hear

Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Some other questions. I have the stock fan which came with the vehicle. So i guess these two fans would replace what i have now? Do you think the dealership would do the install? And does anyone who lives on the East Coast know, what the going rate is for a install such as this?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:24 PM
casper3380
Veteran

hey hammer, which model flex a lite you got? and where did you buy it. thx

Old 10-13-2007, 07:00 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

Can't speak for all of them but the Flex-A-Lite is temperature controlled. It has a probe you insert in the radiator and then you can set it to come on / shut off at any temp. you want. I believe the docs suggest you set it for 10* under your thermostat. So, since I did a 180* stat at the same time, I set the fan's t-stat for 170*. Works flawlessly.
You can also purchase a manual on/off switch for the dash, although I didn't see the need for one personally. I can see a use for it though if you cross water a lot or do some deep muddin', as you can cut the fan off so as to not suck crap in.
This is where my head is at. Manual overide switch is a must for fun in the rivers and what not.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: casper3380

hey hammer, which model flex a lite you got? and where did you buy it. thx
Black Magic 180 Extreme. Local performance shop, they had 2 in stock for $319, I told them Moe's Performance had it online for $249.99 & they came down to $265. Didn't want to wait for shipping so I jumped on it.

Quick Reply: Electric Cooling Fans