3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight circuit interfering with HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:06 PM
onlinetoolman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight circuit interfering with HID kit

I have a 2003 Ram Quadcab that uses 9007 bulbs. I got a great Hi/Lowdual beamHID kit that can be viewed by searchingeBay auction 180168110144 (I have 2 other McCulloch kits that I paid about 3 times as much for). The kit works great, but the headlight circuitry in my Ram won't accept anything but a regular9007 bulb, so I can't effectively use it. I powered up the HID kit with alligator jumpers to be sure that the kit worked OK. Both high beam and low beam work great if I simply connect direct power with the jumpers.

I saw that my "bulb out" warning on my dash was lit, so I found a couple 1K resistors, and jumped thestock plugsto take care of that. I left the switch on for 10 minutes, and it didn't even get warm.

Now, I don't get the "bulb out" warning until I go to switch on the headlights.The computer can tell that I don't have the perfect 9007 bulb resistance. The kit has a battery connection that I simply connected to the lug in front of the relay box, so the headlight connection is simply a relay switch wire, and hardly draws any amperage. When I turn the headlights on, I get short pulses of electricity, enough to turn the lights on, but then the computer shuts the circuit off again. The HID lights just flash, and that won't do me any good.

I pulled the switch, which is an engineering nightmare. Does anyone know of a bypass circuit that would simply supply the headlight with a 12V positive like any othervehicle? Is there a resistor value thatI can just wire in line with the Hi and Low positive feeds? It would be way more convenient if I could just use the stock plug to switch the HID system.

Quick Reply: Headlight circuit interfering with HID kit