3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Hemi Gauge / Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
mbingham666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Hemi Gauge / Electrical Problem

I have a '05 Hemi, and have never had any problems with it (29K Miles). Today while at a stoplight, it just died. I restarted and ran smoothly. After a few minutes on the freeway, my Check Gauge light comes on, and my Engine Temp was in the red. I pulled over, and the radiator wasn't even warm to the touch. I restarted the car, and the gauge was back to normal.

I drove for another 20 minutes, got to work, started and turned off the engine a few times, and the gauge was correct every time. Has anyone experienced this? Would this be a gauge / electrical problem? Or is there a temp probe on the engine that might be going out?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Hemiriden
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2005 Hemi Gauge / Electrical Problem

Could be a computer or gauge cluster malfuntion. Could also be a stuck T-stat. If the t stat was stuck the radiator would feel cool to the touch because the hot water would not be flowing throu it. Even though it works now doesn't mean the problem went away nor does it help pinpoint the possible problem. I would keep an eye on the gauges. If it spikes again then feel the engine block. If you can put your hand close (within a few inches) and you can feel extreme heat from the engine then it is a stuck t-stat. The truck's normal running temp is from 180-225. so if your in the red your pushing well over 300 and will know it just by putting your hand close to the block. IF is spikes and you can literaly tough the block due to lack of any real heat.... then it is the gauge.

Quick Reply: 2005 Hemi Gauge / Electrical Problem