3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Installed a backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:27 PM
BartL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installed a backup camera

nypanama42, yes, the monitor folds down and retracts into the receiver when I turn the backup camera's signal off or the receiver off. This Jensen DVD-receiver was one of the least expensive, 1 DIN, models with this feature. I wanted a retractable monitor (or a visor-mounted monitor) to provide an uncluttered look on my instrument panel. The monitors that mount on top of the dashboard work okay but either restrict visibility or seem to clutter up the panel.

No, I can put my camera's image on the monitor at any time by depressing the manual bypass switch to one side to feed a 12 v. input
(from the nearby cigarette lighter) to the "signal" wire. That tells the DVD to route the camera's image to the monitor. If I depress the manual bypass switch to the other side (making the connection to the backup light switch), the camera's image will be routed to the monitor only when the truck is put into reverse. However, I haven't made that second connection yet. I found out that I could have installed a single pole, double throw relay of some sort to do the same thing. However, installing a manual switch seemed less complicated to me - since I'm not an electronics expert by any means.
LarryL

Old 11-11-2007, 01:06 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

Lookin good!!!

Old 11-11-2007, 03:26 AM
TraptuR
Rookie

pretty sweet dude!

Old 11-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Lama

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve been considering a DVD Player but the ceiling units I’ve seen for the Dodge looks big and bulky. The DVD setup you have looks perfect. Is it also possible to have another receiver mounted from the cab ceiling for rear passengers?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 PM
BartL

Lama, many of these DVD-receivers with monitors have provision to send the video feed to a second monitor. You can purchase a ceiling monitor for the rear of your truck or headrest monitors that fit into the rear of the front seat headrests. If you play a DVD of a movie, the movie will be shown on all monitors. If the DVD-receiver unit is correctly wired with an input from the parking brake's switch, only the rear seat monitors will show the images from the video while the vehicle is moving. The images will be locked out from the front seat's monitor.
LarryL

Quick Reply: Installed a backup camera