3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi 5.7 and high RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
bplatek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hemi 5.7 and high RPM's

What contributed to your DS exploding? 80MPH with 4.10 gears doesn't sound like excessive spin of the DS. What would make a DS explode like that?

Was yours the large diameter?

Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i think it was a matter of a few different contributions...such as: bad u-joints (installed under warranty), and excessive vibrations from becoming unbalanced....i think there's also the possibility that the driveshaft could have developed a minor fracture in it which allowed it to break under the right conditions....and i know for a fact the the aluminum driveshafts have been causing a problem...as of a couple weeks ago, there were 77 on nation backorder and from what the parts guys at work told me is they would not be releasing any for another 2 weeks or so....so like i said, if it was me, i'd have a steel drivehsaft made...a company up here quoted me $150 for a steel driveshaft, so i'm gonna have em make it

Old 11-11-2007, 10:17 PM
bplatek

Is yours ten feet long and as big as a submarine? I wonder what it would cost for one as long as on the Mega Cabs.
I kinda wish it were steel too. I hunt a lot, and just the thought of being stuck in the boonies because I came off a rock wrong and dinged the shaft is not a happy thought. When yours exploded, did it do a lot of secondary body damage to the truck while it was flopping around? That had to sound like the end of the world...

Old 11-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: kx250frider617

Just a expirence. I towed a 8000lb trailer up a very steap incline going to a mx track in the middle of no where. my truck was in the 5000rpm range all the way up. for about 2 min. I could have sworn if we let off we would immediatley start rolling backwards. Thats when you know u need a desiel. Whatever my dad wants to get the 08 ford f450.
good luck with that if he does get an f450 lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=321LwkM7i90

Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it's not 10 ft long but it's pretty beefy (course, all the driveshafts are hollow and the aluminum one looks like it's about 3/16" thick tubing)...well here's a list of things that i need to fix yet: EVAP canister, wiring harness, EVAP filter, gas tank (bashed in the tank so now when i fill up the truck the float stops at 7/8 full)....i think there's a few more underlying issues that need to be addressed, but right now i'm workin with the guys in the warranty department to see about getting all this fixed under warranty and getting reimbursed for the driveshaft, motel room and towing bill....we'll see how it turns out

Quick Reply: Hemi 5.7 and high RPM's