3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kicker 77kick11 speakers terrible!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007 | 08:39 PM
bplatek
|
Default Kicker 77kick11 speakers terrible!!!

I purchased and installed theset of front kicker replacements 77kick11 for the Premium Infinity. They came with 3.5 mid/tweet and 6x9 mid bass.
I have the 7 speaker systems with the NAV headunit.

They were easy to install. I did one side at a time so I could fade back and forth to hear the difference. When I got one side done, I turned onsome music withtight bass, and I could barely hear the bass from the kicker side, andthe mids and highs were terribly harsh.I adjusted the bass all the way up and the mids and highs down, but could not make it sound better. I assumed thatthey might be a higher ohm speakers and needed the other side done to sound good.

I finished the other side and tried again, and it was just as bad. The Kicker speakers had no bass whatsoever, and the mids and highs were intollerable.

I tried to adjust everything I could. I changed to different music and still no good. I was really suprised and dissapointed. I ended up taking them out and wrapped them back up for a refund.

I want to keep the factory NAV unit, but there has to be some better sounding speakers than the OEM "Premium Infinity's" that will fit the front of the Mega Cab without modifications to the metal.

Has anyone else swapped out the 6x9 mid bass in the doors with anything else that produces good bass with the factory amp, and has anyone found another 3.5 coax that fits and sounds good.

I think the factory amp in this system is 66 watts, I do not know if this is per channel or RMS or what. I also can't tell what ohms the original speakers are, any help would be appreciated.

Please post the model numbers of better speakers that fit if possible.

Thanks Bob

Old 11-23-2007 | 09:12 PM
spud11
Veteran
Default RE: Kicker 77kick11 speakers terrible!!!

I went shopping around for speakers to put in my truck, one of the install guys from Best Buy told me that the infinity system uses wires that are too small for aftermarket speakers, that to install new speakers I would have to install all new wire to any speakers that were replaced. This could be your problem the wire from your headunit might not be able to provide the power needed to give your speakers full funcionality. Not saying this is all ture, but its the best that I've heard, good luck.

Old 11-23-2007 | 09:15 PM
casper3380
Veteran

if its 66 watts its not rms per channel, if i remember correctly the speakers in the infinity system are 2 ohm, and the kicker are probably 4. there you lose half your power. You could get speakers like kappa infinitys that are two ohm. or see if there is a way to bypass the stock amplifier to go to after market amps

Old 11-24-2007 | 02:02 AM
kyle_ewing

ive shopped around and tried tones of speakers, ive tried sony, kenwood, pioneer, coustic, all that stuff. nothing seems to sound right. i would get a apeaker box and put a sub in. thats what i plan to do if i can find a box thats not out of this world expensive.

Old 11-30-2007 | 09:38 AM
cris92345

FIRST OF ALL THE INFINITY IS A SELF AMPLIFIED SYSTEM WITH BUILT IN X OVERS. YOU WILL NEVER GET AN AFTERMARKET SPEAKER TO SOUND GOOD UNLESS IT IS A MIDBASS ONLY 6X9 WHICH I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY MYSELF. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE THIS HELPED.

Old 11-30-2007 | 10:02 AM
eltupac
All Star

I'm sorry dude but I have tried 2 sets of aftermarkets with amp and would not get any bass out of the doors. I really dont get it. I place the same speakers on the back dash of my friend's honda civic and boom there it is. Nice lows. I dont think the doors are design for bass or something we are not doing right. My wife's 07 camry has stock door speakers that have better bass on her little doors. When she had her mustang with the Mach Audio and amp, those speaker had awesome bass and the door is about the same room as the the ram's. So I dont know what we are doing wrong or is just that the ram's doors just suck for bass.

Old 11-30-2007 | 02:47 PM
jojo

Well first of all, most speaker have a certain "break in" time. When i did my sound system I went ahead and replaced all the wiring new head unit, amp and door speakers, as well as the tweeters in the front dash. Now its sounds like a have a pair of subs (which i don't, yett) when i turn the volume up. The stock wiring does seem very small, and its a big pain to replace it.

Old 11-30-2007 | 04:06 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

Doesnt anyone know that the front door sppeakers are really 6x9 suboofers. No matter what aftermarket speaker you put in it will always sound bad becuase the stock speakers take alot less power. Also. the factory amp is designed for the factory speakers only. An option is to get a new deck and run the speakers off of that or get a amp and deck. Im sorry but the stock deck cannot power an amp unless you do a line output converter. which are the mikey mouse way of doing things. trust me i had a whole conversation with the audio place. So now im just saving up to do the whole thing.

Old 12-03-2007 | 11:14 AM
eltupac
All Star

I have 16g wires from the amp to the front withKenwoods 4 ways. These speakers have awesome bass, but on the door, they are dead. I am really not going to Dynamat the door, but why do other car doors sound nice with stock speakers. I see the magnet size is crap, yet the bass is nice. The stock speaker of the ram sucked as well. Like my friend Matt Kennedy Gould would say at the end of the show . . . What is going on!!!!

Old 12-04-2007 | 10:28 PM
BOES383

Something to consider...
Factory 6x9 speakers are 2 ohm. Most replacement/aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm.
Replacing a 2 ohm speaker with a 4 ohmshould greatly reduce sound quality.
I'd suggest something like the JBL GTO927. At least look at the specs.
I'm betting something along this line will do nicely. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Kicker 77kick11 speakers terrible!!!