3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MDS= HATE IT!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 PM
casper3380
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MDS= HATE IT!!

MDS can work well, but its optimized for speeds betwee 40 and 65, not 70+. remember the ram isnt aerodynamic by any means. If you want better mileage, then slow down, or get a lighter vehicle/smaller motor. Bout your only hope.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 AM
stratusguy02
Professional

OH and as far as the gas mileage goes, if you go by the computer i get 14-15 or so aroundtown. but if you do the math, how many gallons to how many miles it comes out to be like 11-13? what's up with that. i guess i just got a dud! maybe i should paint it yellow and call it a lemon
Did you reset your computer before taking that measurement? If not, that computer will take the rolling economy since the last time you reset it. So it is not surprising that it is different from one tank of measurement.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

My overhead is only accurate on the highway. It takes too many readings in town and kills the mileage

Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you are looking for ways to keep the MDS from engaging
one possible way is to add some resistors to the right PCM read sensors
...such as the coolant temperature 'thermistor'
...or the oil pressure readout on some models

see this post for another owner who measured when MDS would go in or stay off by using a "Scangauge" brand OBD-II monitor:

http://tinyurl.com/2j5o8b

where he writes:
------
don't know how common the knowledge is on the MDS disengaging when not in "D", but that is the way it works. Since installing my MDS 'ON" indicator light and ScanGauge, I have been able to figure out a lot of the parameters that are required to make it work. Here are a few: coolant temp. 120 or >, gear selector in "D", oil pressure at least 40 PSI or > (some say it should work as low as 20 PSI, but mine won't below 40), engine load below 40%, throttle position less than 20%, 15-20 mph must be in second gear, 23-30 mph must be in 3rd gear, and 33-about 42 must be in 4th gear. I am sure there are others too, but those are the ones I have observed and can monitor with EVIC or ScanGauge.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HankL

if you are looking for ways to keep the MDS from engaging
one possible way is to add some resistors to the right PCM read sensors
...such as the coolant temperature 'thermistor'
...or the oil pressure readout on some models

see this post for another owner who measured when MDS would go in or stay off by using a "Scangauge" brand OBD-II monitor:

http://tinyurl.com/2j5o8b

where he writes:
------
don't know how common the knowledge is on the MDS disengaging when not in "D", but that is the way it works. Since installing my MDS 'ON" indicator light and ScanGauge, I have been able to figure out a lot of the parameters that are required to make it work. Here are a few: coolant temp. 120 or >, gear selector in "D", oil pressure at least 40 PSI or > (some say it should work as low as 20 PSI, but mine won't below 40), engine load below 40%, throttle position less than 20%, 15-20 mph must be in second gear, 23-30 mph must be in 3rd gear, and 33-about 42 must be in 4th gear. I am sure there are others too, but those are the ones I have observed and can monitor with EVIC or ScanGauge.
Best way to disable MDS is put 5w-30 in it. The MDS won't (can't?) engage with 30w oil.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:46 PM
stratusguy02
Professional

Or you could get a cam and lifters thatdisable the MDS (standard lifters/cam). You would also need an ECU reflash too though.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:46 PM
sddunn2
Professional

K not sure if you are for real or not there mikehtally please tell me you are kidding !!! also i dont think i would want to be adding resistors to anything to try and fool my mds I am sure they will come out with a mod soon enough !!
5w30 ??????????????? ok sure

Old 11-30-2007, 02:52 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Do you idol alot. That really makes the overhead read low.

I like the MDS system. I leave it off around town usually to save the tranny. But i love it on the highway.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:14 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sddunn2

K not sure if you are for real or not there mikehtally please tell me you are kidding !!! also i dont think i would want to be adding resistors to anything to try and fool my mds I am sure they will come out with a mod soon enough !!
5w30 ??????????????? ok sure
It's well documented that raising the visocity of the oil defeats the MDS. Restoration of MDS is as simple as going back to 20. Also, be aware that if you disconnect the battery, the MDS is turned off. That part applies to my 300C. I would think it applies to any MDS engine. Supposedly you have to go back to the dealer to get it turned back on after a battery disconnect/reconnect, so that may or may not be an option depending onwhat the dealercharges. I'm reluctant to go to the dealer for anything, considering what they charge.I've read the procedure to do it yourself, but I'm skeptical of it. Involves WOT in first gear to 35 mph. I don't remember all the details. Severa of the Chrysler forums have many threads. Don't know how MDS would affect the tranny one way or another. MDS would not engage around town much anyway.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 AM
stratusguy02
Professional

ORIGINAL: JD1500

Do you idol alot. That really makes the overhead read low.

I like the MDS system. I leave it off around town usually to save the tranny. But i love it on the highway.
How exactly does MDS hurt your transmission?

Quick Reply: MDS= HATE IT!!