3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E3 Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E3 Spark Plugs

I maintain /MMIII at Malmstrom.. 341 SW... EMT

Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM
ThaChad
Professional

Here's My question...

If spitfire, E3, Bosch +5, etc, all increase spark, burn fuel better, get better performance, etc. How come not a single manufacturer has ever put them in their cars/truck? If they were worth having, the OEM's would make their own. I understand they all use copper cores because they are cheap, but Even when you get into $100k + cars, you don't see any of these plugs.

Why is that? Maybe because you can increase spark with a standard spark plug using Ignition systems with more power (IE MSD).

If you want better spark, Get MSD, forget about a special spark plug.

But I am curious why Dodge is using 2 spark plugs per cylinder, instead of just using a hotter ignition system to get more/better/hotter spark from 1 plug. Kind of a bandaid job to me...

-ThaChad

Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet! Not many of us Missileers around anymore, damned Russians! thay sure know how to ruin a good thing! I guess they didnt know how many patriotic Americans the cold war kept gainfully employed!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

There's another retired missileer on the forum as well, have you met Pappy_FB? Retired X1 I beleive.. Own a real nice Hemi QC and a couple harley's

Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I know Pappy, hes an old Titan II puke also

Old 11-29-2007, 06:33 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am pretty skeptical of the E3 sparkplug, but have not tried them.

If you have followed the story of the E3 it was originally meant for small lawn engines.

I believe the way to test an E3 would be to put a new original equipment sparkplug
in a single cylinder engine like a BriggsStratton powering an electric generator
and do a test where you load the electric generator down by using an electric heater
and measure both the horsepower-hrs of work, and weigh the amount of gasoline used in the fuel tank.

Then repeat the same test with the E3 sparkplug in the BriggsStratton engine.

E3 claims better fuel economy
if so, a careful test like this would detect it.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 AM
stratusguy02
Professional

Here's My question...

If spitfire, E3, Bosch +5, etc, all increase spark, burn fuel better, get better performance, etc. How come not a single manufacturer has ever put them in their cars/truck? If they were worth having, the OEM's would make their own. I understand they all use copper cores because they are cheap, but Even when you get into $100k + cars, you don't see any of these plugs.

Why is that? Maybe because you can increase spark with a standard spark plug using Ignition systems with more power (IE MSD).

If you want better spark, Get MSD, forget about a special spark plug.

But I am curious why Dodge is using 2 spark plugs per cylinder, instead of just using a hotter ignition system to get more/better/hotter spark from 1 plug. Kind of a bandaid job to me...

-ThaChad
I completely agree with your point.

I regards to your question about 2 plugs/cyl on the hemis, they do it because it gives better fuel combustion. In the original hemi engines they wanted to run dual plugs but couldn't because there was no room for two distributers on the motor. Thus, they did much testing on the engines with a single spark plug in both locations and determined that on location worked slightly better than the other. Since we now use coil on plug ignition systems that is not a concern. Also, I am pretty sure they use a waste spark logic. This means there is a spark on every stroke, not just the power stroke. This helps burn off any fuel that did not get burned initially in the power stroke.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:14 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Tommygunz

There's another retired missileer on the forum as well, have you met Pappy_FB? Retired X1 I beleive.. Own a real nice Hemi QC and a couple harley's
Pappy doesnt come to this site anymore

but about the 2 plugs per cylinder thing... its a more effiecient system... not a bandaid job at all.. in fact a lot harder to do than make a stronger ignition...

Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM
stratusguy02
Professional

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

ORIGINAL: Tommygunz

Pappy doesnt come to this site anymore

but about the 2 plugs per cylinder thing... its a more effiecient system... not a bandaid job at all.. in fact a lot harder to do than make a stronger ignition...
How is putting another spark plug in the cylinder harder to do?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:20 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

just the design... you gotta figure the coil system linking all the cylinders together and getting the right timing... a hotter ignition would just be a stronger coil and larger wires....

Quick Reply: E3 Spark Plugs