3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tornado Fuel Saver

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 PM
shah 303
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado Fuel Saver

i got it for a reason because people were saying it is junk.

i installed it and tested for about 15 miles in city, i got 14.5 mpg. without the tornado, i was getting about 12.4 mpg.

that was keeping it below 2000 rpm. it really made differences.

tornado cost 65 dollars. i dont know if you can put it in CAI.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Tornado Fuel Saver

Congratulations, you have hit the lottery! Out of literally hundreds of posts and at least a dozen test reports I've read, YOU GOT THE ONE UNIT THAT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!

My best friend went to a mechanics institute about 4-5 years ago (he's a big rig diesel mechanic now) and he had an instructor that was obsessed with testing all kinds of performance mods vs. their claims and when they tested this particular one in a Chevy 350 engine the dyno actually showed a HP loss, and further tests showed a slight loss in fuel economy as well.

Here is a reprint from a consumer digest study:

"VORTEX GENERATORS
These devices, which are usually installed on the upstream side of the mass airflow (MAF) sensor, use stationary vanes or, on some devices, spinning blades to make the inlet air between the air cleaner and intake manifold whirl around in a mini-tornado. This vortex supposedly mixes fuel more thoroughly with air, which means the fuel will, theoretically, burn more completely in the combustion chamber. Trouble is, there's a lot of intake tract downstream from these devices designed to maximize a smooth airflow. Turbulence, coupled with the restricted airflow caused by the device, can only reduce the amount of air sucked into the manifold. Less air means less power.
Again, we tested two devices. The TornadoFuelSaver is a nicely made stainless steel contraption, available in an assortment of sizes to fit most vehicles. We installed it on our truck's intake tract immediately upstream of the MAF sensor. We purchased the second device, the Intake Twister, on eBay. It was crudely handmade from sheet-aluminum flashing and pop rivets. It looked like something we could make in about 10 minutes from an old soda can. The staff at UTI was reluctant to install it: The bent sheetmetal vanes looked as if they might break off and be digested by the engine. The device is one-size-fits-all, and is simply bent into a curl to insert it into the intake duct.

THE DYNO SAYS: Both devices reduced peak horsepower by more than 10 percent. The Intake Twister actually increased fuel consumption by about 20 percent; the TornadoFuelSaver provided no significant change."

You need to get you a throttle body spacer next, nobody else has gotten any gains out of those either, but you're on a roll...

Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Your also taking into account air/fuel temp differances, drove the same route at the same load, same gas.

But that doesn't matter, cause now i have some oceanfront property to sell you in witchita.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:21 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

man...you could've bought new plug wires for that

Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

A few years ago I had a F-150 with a tornado fuel saver in it when I got the truck. I was getting around 17 mpg for about a year or so, and then I pulled the fuel saver out after I started hearing about how bad the thing was. The next six months or so I was getting around 15 mpg, so I put it back in, and went back to 17 mpg. I am not saying it works or it don't, but I belive in that truck something was going on.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:44 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

I know somebody is going to bash me good for that! ^

Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: The Peddler

A few years ago I had a F-150 with a tornado fuel saver in it when I got the truck. I was getting around 17 mpg for about a year or so, and then I pulled the fuel saver out after I started hearing about how bad the thing was. The next six months or so I was getting around 15 mpg, so I put it back in, and went back to 17 mpg. I am not saying it works or it don't, but I belive in that truck something was going on.

Could just be your imagination mixed with the hope that you didn't just waste $70 that you could've spent on gas.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Actually, you probably were getting better gas mileage with it. And knowing it was in there, I'll bet you were going easy with the right foot to squeeze extra mpg's out of it.
I find after I add a "power mod" my fuel economy goes to **** because I'm on the gas. After I install a "mpg mod" I get a LOT better fuel economy, way more than the mod should get, because I'm easing up on the gas and coasting to a stop more to see how much better mpg's I can get...

Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 PM
casper3380
Veteran

i had one years ago with a k&n filter, all i noticed was improved tip in, but that could have been given the the k &n drop in. other than that, no mileage increase, at all. Hammer, your the man dude, tagged that as it is. wasted my money then, and have learned.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: casper3380

i wasted my money then, and have learned.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...

Quick Reply: Tornado Fuel Saver