3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
9.09%
5.7 hemi
52.73%
diesel
38.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

buying a ram and cant decide on which engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: buying a ram and cant decide on which engine!!!

HEMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: jmccormick

4.7L is a doggggg. slow. no power. esspecially if ur going 4x4 quadcab
5.7L hemi. major ***** for a gas v8 truck. way better fuel econ. verses a 4.7 cuz your not having to beat the motor for the truck to move.
Cummins all i gotta say is DAMN. if you can afford it DO it. endless possibilities for power. and decent milage cause you dont have to get on it to move.

anything but the 4.7L its a loaf even in a reg cab 4x4.

yea totally disagree homeboy. rcsb 4x4 4.7L with a six speed manual = the ****

honestly if you are gonna get an automatic get the hemi. if you want a stick shift then I'd say get teh 4.7L. but if you have the money get the CTD. Personally I'd want the CTD the most and if not then I'd get the 4.7L and six speed manual. no offense to anyone here but you couldn't pay me to drive a hemi with the auto. I just don't like it. now give me hemi with the six speed and i'll take that but I hate automatic that's just how i am.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

As most of the others have said it really depends on what you plan to do with the truck. I came from a 2K Dakota with the 4.7. Never had any major problems with it, and would say that the power was "ok" - didn't really throw you back in your seat but it's a truck so I didn't expect it (nor try to run it) like a sports car. That said, moving to a bigger heavier truck (I've got a 2500), I was quite surprised at the substantial power difference the Hemi provided. As others have described on the forum, they aren't even in the same ball park.

So I'd say 4.7 if you just need around town and occasional light work duty. Go for the Hemi if you dig power, and have some heavier work for it. If you haul allot, or want the braggin' rights of over 600 foot pounds of torque, the CTD can't be beaten.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 AM
topcop38
Professional

i have driven both and didn't notice much difference seat of the pants.
i also will say that there should be plenty of difference seeing that the hemi is rated at over 100 hp more than the 4.7 thats probably the lowest rating of any V8 in production today. most similar sized engines are rated at about 275hp (4.8 chevy and 4.6 ford).
it sounds like a contradiction but the 4.7 is severely underated while the hemi is overrated. my neighbor has had both and likes the 4.7 better.
again, for a heavier loadalways go for the bigger engine. i stopped today and took a look at the '08s and they advertise 13 in town and 17 highway with the hemi. thats less than the advertised on the 4.7 and less than i get.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:24 AM
dapirate559
Professional

m gonna use it for a DD and some wheeling and hunting and maybe a little towing with a boat or jetskis. i had o 04 with the 4.7 and a few mods and i beat my buddy who has a caddy with the 6.0 so i already have braggin rights. how easy is it to mod the 5.7 such as a CAI, chip and anything else that would get more power off the line. also what would be the loudest exhaust for the ram without going single chamber?

Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 AM
sddunn2
Professional

if ya got the money go with the cummins great motors!! That being said I pull a 27 ft trailer 4400 dry i figure close to 7000 wet and the hemi tugs it along pretty good but the mpg goes out the window when towing . I can not speak to the 4.7 as i have never drove one . but i hear they are not to bad . As for modsa lot od the guys herehave the caibut to my knowledge there is no chip for 07 08 models yet .
Good luck

Old 12-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Vandersnoot
Professional

ORIGINAL: Ben D.
you couldn't pay me to drive a hemi with the auto. I just don't like it. now give me hemi with the six speed and i'll take that but I hate automatic that's just how i am.
Thats just retarded...

Old 12-02-2007, 10:26 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think if you're considering a 4.7, then throw the diesel idea out the window, you don't need it. However, if you have a 4.7 in your Dak that you're used to, it's not going to be the same engine in the big Ram. A 4,000 lb dakota, vs an almost 6,000 lb Ram.... There's plenty of mods out there for the Hemi, I'm pretty sure you'd be really happy with that engine...

Old 12-02-2007, 10:33 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

If you have the cash go with the cummins, even better get a 5.9 as they do not have all the emmisions crap that the 6.7 has, you will be sacraficing the 6 speed auto for that but if you can find a manual you are in business. I have a level kit, 35 inch tires and a diablo sport programmer and I ran 15.54 in the 1/4 mile. I average between 15-16 mpg but I am in a lot of stop and go traffic.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:34 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea if you are considering the 4.7 the cummins is outa the question too much money if you dont need it... i would recommend a hemi if you plan on doing some towing and wheeling.. that what i have and use it for... mods are very common to find for a hemi too.... good luck on your search!

Quick Reply: buying a ram and cant decide on which engine!!!