3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:40 PM
rebelz99
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil filter

that suck's, I also have an 08, damn, now we have no option but to buy mopar!!!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

k and n is a name... thats y they sell.... cool design with the wrench thing but the filters are overpriced and not as efficient as a wix.... i spent like 5 bucks on a wix and they are the best according to the sites i got the info off of......
I've read most of the Oil filter study's posted on here, but none of them have included K&N oil filters. I can't seem to find anything online relating to K&N oil filters..
What are you basing your opinion on? Did you do a test yourself?

Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

I cant find any recamendations for your truck. I sell wix but yours is not listed anywhere. Must not have gotton any info from dodge yet because I cant even see what oil they recamend for motor, gears, nothing for that truck

Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

wix is available at many places... go to wixfilters.com and do a dealer locator... worse comes to worse.. use the net..... and i am very surprised dodge changed the threads... i coulda sworn i would be using that filter on a 2054 dodge ram LOL

Old 12-05-2007, 03:03 PM
JonM

No but they do carry the fram and my favorite Supertech (store brand). It is actually one of the best filters out there. I even using it for racing.
Don't know who actually makes it, from the part numbers you'd think fram, but they are completely different and rated higher them frams best.

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

So where does one purchase a Wixx filter? I know they don't carry them at Wally World.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Claw
Rookie

I used to buy the SuperTech ST8A (which is the"oversized" one identical to the Motorcraft FL1A) because they were made by Champion Labs who also makes Wix, Mobil 1, etc.I stopped when I noticed that they've cheapened the construction in the last couple years. They now have a plastic/nylon center tube instead of steel, and aren't as large as they used to be.

Now I get either the Mobil 1 M1-301 or the Bosch 3500.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Claw

I used to buy the SuperTech ST8A (which is the"oversized" one identical to the Motorcraft FL1A) because they were made by Champion Labs who also makes Wix, Mobil 1, etc.I stopped when I noticed that they've cheapened the construction in the last couple years. They now have a plastic/nylon center tube instead of steel, and aren't as large as they used to be.

Now I get either the Mobil 1 M1-301 or the Bosch 3500.
This statement is not correct! Champion Labs does NOT make Wix filters. Wix filters are made by Wix. Napa and Carquest filters are also made by Wix.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 PM
JonM

ORIGINAL: Powerubi Wacon

This statement is not correct! Champion Labs does NOT make Wix filters. Wix filters are made by Wix. Napa and Carquest filters are also made by Wix.
Wix, Napa and ACDelco Canada were last made by Dana.
Supertech(Walmart), K&N, ACDelco US, and a few others are made by one of the Champion companies. There were three the last I checked making filters,and I couldn't tell you which ones make which filters. Surprisingly, theWalmart store brand and K&N are the same filter. They also OEM for Chrysler(Mopar), which is possibly why they have them on the shelves. On the downside, they also make some of the lower quality brands like bosch and stp.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Claw
Rookie

O.K., so I was mistaken about the Champion Labs/Wix thing. What Ihave experienced, however, is that it definitely appears that the SuperTech filters are not of the same construction they once were.

JonM, what makes Bosch a lower quality brand? I'm not disputing you, I'm just interested in the details as I sometimes use Bosch. I've also used K&N, and the ones I've used don't have the nylon center tube like the SuperTech ST8A.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mopar part # for 2008 5.7L is 4884899AB, cost about $7.00

Quick Reply: oil filter