3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking steering???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking steering???

Hey guys, today my wife and I went up to the hills to go find a christmas tree. There was alot of snow and had it in 4hi the majority of the time. When I got home I started changing the oil. After crawling underneith I noticed that my steering had some fluid leaking. My garage shows no signs of dripping and as you can see in the picture the oil looks pretty fresh we drove on alot of roads with salt/sand today and there wasn't alot sticking to the oil stains. I dont remember seeing any thing like that when I changed my oil before but I am not 100% sure thatit wasn't there months ago. I have no idea what could possibly be wrong, and would rather not jump right into w/o some input from you guys. Thanks for all the help in advance guys. The first picture is just for fun. The others are from the same angle. Under the truck looking to the front. The boot with the oil on it is for the driver side . Thanks again guys

[IMG]local://upfiles/61985/47411D6A919541DCB8271EB0535447DD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/61985/1F6F384183D342FDA45DB96290733E37.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Leaking steering???

replace the clamp on the rubber hoses going between the resivor (sp? lol) and the rack...the clamps on there are a commonly known problem to be bad and leak...i replaced all mine with some hose clamps right away when i got my truck...do that and you shouldn't have any other problems

Old 12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah man what a relief thats what I was hoping was just a cracked boot or something but all looked well when i was under there. Thanks for the help hemiyellow, thats first priority tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:30 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no prob man....it's been a problem for quite some time, most the time the guys at the dealership would just tighten the factory clamp but that didn't always work...so i just always replaced em, made life easier lol...make sure to top off the fluid after ur done lol....use a pair of dykes and pinch the clamp behind the "head" and twist it to get the clamp off then put ur new clamp on

Quick Reply: Leaking steering???