3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi "cutting out"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:23 AM
ItsAVROD
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hemi "cutting out"

I have an 07 1500 HEMI, and have tried to play in the snow, but there is some type of traction control feature on it that makes it "cut out". Any time the wheels slip it acts like it hits the rev limiter. Not sure if this is what is happening to you or not.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 AM
jager

So I had a weird experience, but I'm not sure if its the same...

I was driving home from a camping trip, and towing approx 6000lbs, and
I leave the frontage road to get on the freeway and I hit the gas and I just
didn't accelerate very good...[sm=insomnia.gif] Way different from normal... I mean normally I
drop a gear and hit the gas even when towing and the hemi responds!
This time... nothing!!! I got up on the freeway, FLAT- no hills! 45-55 tops!
I mean what the #%@#!!! RPM's were 4000 so I shift gears and the hemi falls flat on its face! I had to drive home the whole time like that!!!

Anyways I take it straight to the dealer and tell him what was wrong and he tells me it must be my trailer! Oh I was pissed... I had stopped on the freeway after approx 10 miles and felt all my rims on the trailer and they were cold... I stuck my finger through the rim and touched the brakes even
on truck and trailer both! He didn't belive me and says if there isn't a ce light on, then there is no problem with the truck![:@] I made him check it out anyways.

He calls me 3 hours later and says my clutch fan wasn't disengaging and must be responsible for the loss of power...I'm not stupid... I told him
we're talking about allot more power loss than my clutch fan here!
He tells me "Oh and by the way we noticed that there was an available upgradefor my dodges computer that they went ahead and installed for me.

Runs like a champ again now...

Sorry my story was so long... but thats what happened to my hemi!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

Well folks, thanks for all the comments on the "mystery" cutting out issue. I re-checkked gas cap (fine). I drove it today, stomped on it several times, it hit 5,500 rpms with no problems? I drove it for 60+ miles, it was shut off several times...fine.

My guess is reading others in this thread like JD & 94rt that the common denominator seems to be the gas cap or having recently got gas so the cap was removed. I'm guessing some "genuis" sensor somewhere does not think the vapor pressure is EXACTLY right and institutes a rev limiting condition to avoid detonation problems or alike. Once you shut the vehicle off, it re-sets the triggered fault. Just my guess, but seems logical to me. I'll still have the dealer read the codes (if any) while it is still under warranty.

I'll post any findings. Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: Hemi "cutting out"