3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ping on a 07 1500 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:14 PM
lanceh13
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ping on a 07 1500 Hemi

Ok I know this question has been beat to death...so I appologize in advance...

I have recently installed a K&N CAI, Flow Master Exhaust and a Edge programmer and Amsoil...I've noticed it likes to ping during acceleration. I am currently in Minnesota and have been putting in 89 octane with the STP boost...however it still tends to ping. Do you guys think it might be something else or what other recommendations do you have? The truck has 1500 miles on it...and up til 700 miles it has been in storage for about 6 months... (just got back from Iraq) Thanks in advance for your help...

merry xmas

Old 12-25-2007, 11:40 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ping on a 07 1500 Hemi

I'm not all that familiar with the Edge programmer but you may be hearing the common EGR noise and not actual engine pinging. They say you hear it on any Hemi with an aftermarket intake.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:43 PM
lanceh13
Amateur

What is this EGR noise? Do you know if its a rattle...almost sounds like somthing is loose...with a cross of an exhaust leak...I appreciate your help....

Old 12-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Sour Diesel

Man, I have the same problem.. I have a 2000 Dakota 5.9 Quadcab with flowmaster exhaust. Ever since I got my radiator replaced ive been hearing that noise when I accelerate.. its pretty faint but I can hear it especially when the windows are down.

Oh, and I also live in Minnesota..

Old 12-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Sour Diesel

actually I take that back my exhaust is Magnaflow. But I have the same noise.. Its like two pans rattling together. Sounds pretty unhealthy

Old 12-26-2007, 09:15 AM
lanceh13
Amateur

do you think it has something to do with the winter mix? Its been hard finding 91 octane fuel...so I've been putting in that fuel additive...but I just would hate to see some long term engine damage as a result. Hopefully someone on the forum can give us some suggestions...I'm thinking abot stopping into my stealership and seeing what they have to say.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lanceh13,

I don't have a programmer on mine(basically all stock), but I would try dialing down the programmer to a lower octane (power?) setting for a while, and stop using the fuel additive. Let the engine get broke in first. I know what the manual says, but I and many others here noticed that around the 5k mark that the mpg really got much better and this may ,in part, be due to the ECU learning your driving habits, also the cylinders and top end finally getting fully seated.
These are designed for 89 octane with 87 optional. Empty the tank, then fillup with straight 89 and see if that helps the ping.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

EGR noise sounds like an exhaust manifold leak, coming from area near the CAI. Very common on air intakes that require you to remove the stock plastic baffler that's in front of the throttle body. Metal/chrome intake tubes tend to really echo this sound. But to me it's not a sound like a ping, it's more of an exhaust leak sound.
Try a couple of tanks of 93 octane and with that programmer of yours just to see if that takes care of it as I'm not very familiar with the Edge and don't know how far it advances the timing...

Old 12-26-2007, 12:46 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

Here is an idea for ya remove the programmer and then drive it see if the noise is still there if it is continue on and remove the CAI and see if the noise is still there if its not then add the programmer back on with the stockair intake still onand drive see if it comes back if it doesnt then i would say it would be the EGR noise caused byeliminatingthe baffle in stock intake.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:52 PM
lanceh13
Amateur

Thanks for the tips guys. I took my truck to the stealership and they aren't exactly sure what it was. The tech road along with me...at first he thought it was an exhaust leak. Thats almost what it sounds like...we even did a break stang and the ping went away...I have to tuner turned off and it still pings a bit...so I'm really not sure what is causing it. Any further suggestions...I would hate to pull of the CAI to see if that is what is causing it...I'm trying to burn off this tank and find a place the has 91 + octane to give it a run...

but I currently have 1,700 miles on it...I'd really hate to be damaging my engine not to mention I will be driving back to Ft. Hood Texas around the 3rd...so I need to get this figured out before I head back.

Quick Reply: ping on a 07 1500 Hemi