3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

See through graphics for sliding windows???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:56 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: See through graphics for sliding windows???

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Panama man, you feelin' OK there buddy? Your typeface shrank. You're not coming down with something are you?
Naw funny guy, my wife suggested that i get my eyes checked again....i broke down and got the glass's...
I can see clearly now.....lol i think i remember a song with that title...

And by the way Happy new year ***** ....

Old 01-01-2008, 06:58 PM
mopar74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Panama man, you feelin' OK there buddy? Your typeface shrank. You're not coming down with something are you?
Naw funny guy, my wife suggested that i get my eyes checked again....i broke down and got the glass's...
I can see clearly now.....lol i think i remember a song with that title...

And by the way Happy new year ***** ....
I hear every word your saying. I wish that there was a way to invent a prescription windshield. I wouldn't need glasses and my wife wouldn't have to drive. Thieves would be blind too!

Happy New Year to ALL!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
panelrodder

ORIGINAL: mopar74

I've seen some nice window graphics for the rear windows of the Rams for full size windows. Does anyone have any pictures/photos/links for rear windows with the slider? (See through).

I am looking for something in the military/patrioic theme, I have looked at the glasscapes website but have not been able to find many that have an example of a graphic broken up by the middle/sliding window frame.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
I make this type of graphic all the time and though it is possible, it is not recommened... unless you infrequently or never open the sliding window. The graphics just don't hold up very well to repeated sliding. They tend to start out with just scratching/scaring and then move on to the edges either peeling or small chunks tear out and along the way the inks wear off leaving long white streaks through the image. There are some new laminates out now, Windowscapes does not use them or not but I do, that are optically clear and won't interfer with seeing through the graphic that might help the graphic last longer. As a side note the laminate keeps water and other debrie from catching in the perforations and blocking visibility, which is a big problem/complaint about these graphics, so I never do a graphic with out it anymore. Now, if you do not intend to actually open the window, I have had my truck for 6k miles and have never opened the thing, then there wouldn't be any reason not to put a graphic on it. I do have a pic of a truck that I did, my cousin's F*&D that has a black frame around the slider window like you decribe. I will be up at my office tomorrow and will look for the pic and post it then. He has had his on for more than two years and with very infrequent use of the window, permenanty outdoor parking, and no laminate that thing has held up really great!

-Panelrodder

PS: I am in the process of building a complete graphics package for my truck. It will include not only a rear window graphic, over my slider part, but also some partial window graphics that will be on the extended cab door windows. I have only used them once since I bought the thing! Watch for pics of that!

Old 01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
panelrodder

Here is the pic... don't judge the image on the graphic... I didn't have very much control since my cousin had a VERY specific idea of what he wanted!

-Panelrodder

[IMG]local://upfiles/74822/E849C508C18846EC81382F5F4BC0A2C9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me more about this laminate. I hate when the rear window gets wet. Can't see a dang thing.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM
panelrodder

ORIGINAL: kenihemi

Tell me more about this laminate. I hate when the rear window gets wet. Can't see a dang thing.
kenihemi

the laminate is something that is pretty new, we started using it about six months ago. I had put a graphic in the backwindow of my old chevy truck and that was the only complaint I had about the graphic originally was that it filled with water and other debri. I complained to my supplier who told me about this stuff and said that he would have to order it since it was so new, at the time, and that he would get some for me. After that I won't do anything with out it. Typical laminates are clear when applied to something but when held up to by themselves they are far from clear, like you are looking through your grandpa's coke bottle glasses, the way I understand it is the material is clear but the adhesive on it is not. So this new stuff has a specialty adhesive on it which allows me to laminated these graphics and not have the adhesive that is over the perforations interfere with visibility. While waiting for the first shipment to arrive I laminated a piece of the material with the old laminates and sure enough, it was impossible to see through other than extreme changes in color or brighness but no detail. I haven't put a graphic on my new Ram but when I traded in my Chevy for the Ram, the Chevy had a graphic on it... well until the night before, that had this laminate on it. I love the graphics now. I am not sure why anyone wouldn't want one since the only flaw with them has been fixed!

-Panelrodder

Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
panelrodder

ORIGINAL: kenihemi

kenihemi

the laminate is something that is pretty new, we started using it about six months ago. I had put a graphic in the backwindow of my old chevy truck and that was the only complaint I had about the graphic originally was that it filled with water and other debri. I complained to my supplier who told me about this stuff and said that he would have to order it since it was so new, at the time, and that he would get some for me. After that I won't do anything with out it. Typical laminates are clear when applied to something but when held up to by themselves they are far from clear, like you are looking through your grandpa's coke bottle glasses, the way I understand it is the material is clear but the adhesive on it is not. So this new stuff has a specialty adhesive on it which allows me to laminated these graphics and not have the adhesive that is over the perforations interfere with visibility. While waiting for the first shipment to arrive I laminated a piece of the material with the old laminates and sure enough, it was impossible to see through other than extreme changes in color or brighness but no detail. I haven't put a graphic on my new Ram but when I traded in my Chevy for the Ram, the Chevy had a graphic on it... well until the night before, that had this laminate on it. I love the graphics now. I am not sure why anyone wouldn't want one since the only flaw with them has been fixed!

-Panelrodder

Quick Reply: See through graphics for sliding windows???