3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling kit causing death wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:03 PM
bobs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Leveling kit causing death wobble?

thanks for all the feedback. Installed a Trueflow XDI yesterday - looks/sounds great, but one of couplings were the wrong size so I had to rig it until they send me one. Lots more room under the hood now without the original airbox and reasonator.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:07 PM
cmoschip
Rookie

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

ORIGINAL: cmoschip

Funny, 4 Wheel Parts sold and installed mine on my 06 2500. Go figure.
Depends on which store and the philosophy of the general manager. I've found some locations give honest and factual advice while others try to up sell you to the more expensive, higher profit products...
I'm sure you're right - I've had very little done at the one near me (within 2 miles of me) but I get the impression the sale is the king for them.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
bltp203
Rookie

Yea Death Wobble will come from a host of other issues. I corrected mine by replacing all 4 ball joints and getting an alignment.

Leveling Kit and 35's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am on the fence about 4:56 gears. I need to do the math, but I think it would take quite a while to make up the $1400 install price in gas savings (if any). With an exhaust, CAI, and programmer I thinkmy hemiputs pretty good power to the ground despite my 3:73 gears.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: bltp203

I am on the fence about 4:56 gears. I need to do the math, but I think it would take quite a while to make up the $1400 install price in gas savings (if any). With an exhaust, CAI, and programmer I thinkmy hemiputs pretty good power to the ground despite my 3:73 gears.
Don't even consider the 4.56s if you are thinking about MPG, you may get a mpg better in city, and break even or lose a MPG on the highway. You'd NEVER make it up, costwise. It is strictly a performance thing. I had 3.92s and I see a night/day difference in acceleration, especially from take-off. Many people do the "BIG 3" upgrades (exhaust, CAI & programmer), stop right there, and are perfectly happy with their truck.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 PM
bobs

Installed my leveling kit and bought my 35s this weekend! Great advice Hammer - I went with the Cepek FCIIs - they're awesome! thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: bobs

Installed my leveling kit and bought my 35s this weekend! Great advice Hammer - I went with the Cepek FCIIs - they're awesome! thanks

You're gonna love those tires! They have all the desirable features of both an A/T and an M/T. Much better traction off road than standard A/T's, with the siping of a good A/T for wet weather and snow. Plus I think you'll find they will wear like iron... Good Job!!!

Oh, however:
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob that turned out real nice....Do want to say that we had a guy with a 2005 2500 with 2 inch spacers and they caused a major death wobble.. At 95 mph, the slightest bump would cause a violent wobble that stayed until you got down to 40 mph. We took the spacers out and the problem went away. But this is the only truck that I have seen with spacers that caused it..

Old 01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

Bob that turned out real nice....Do want to say that we had a guy with a 2005 2500 with 2 inch spacers and they caused a major death wobble.. At 95 mph, the slightest bump would cause a violent wobble that stayed until you got down to 40 mph. We took the spacers out and the problem went away. But this is the only truck that I have seen with spacers that caused it..
I'd venture a guess that it was in install issue as opposed to the spacers themselves that caused the problem. I helpeda buddy with a '07 4x4 who got the Rancho Quicklifts (on my advice, no less). Had the local Midas Muffler shop order them for him and do the install. Rode like crap and had the same issue, but at about 70 mph. So, after taking it back and getting no help from them, I borrowed the coil tool from a local 4x4 lift shop (I'd sent guys there that asked me for help installing their lifts, so they just let me borrow it) and basically uninstalled and re-installed them and the problem went away...

Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be right, but the owner didn't was us to re-install them. He was going to put in a lift kit when he got his taxes back....

Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 PM
bobs

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Oh, however:
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]
[sm=goodidea.gif]

Had problems getting the pics embedded in the last post...here goes again. Pics don't do these tires justice!

I've also been up to 70 MPH without any shakes. [sm=escape.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/80494/E27ED5A94B1B448A8C8CCD8E38080836.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/80494/73B7C8E8185B4BDF8A2E6571AD0C41CE.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Leveling kit causing death wobble?