3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 AM
ctd4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Problem

I know a lot of people have had trouble with the air conditioning system on 3rd-generation Rams. I have a 2005 2500.

I've taken it to the same dealer 3 times for the same problem, and each time they charge the system, put in dye, and cannot find any leaks.

The problem is that cold air ONLY blows from the two driver-side vents. The passenger side vents are blowing ambient or outside air.

Would it do me any good to try another dealer? Also, I heard somewhere that there's a restrictor filter in the A/C system that can be removed to make it blow harder.

The A/C in this truck is very weak, overall.

Any help would be appreciated (especially before summer).

Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
BHRAM
Default RE: A/C Problem

they probably didnt find it because the leak may be inside the cab where the evaporator is

Old 01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are that given the reasons above, I would guess your problem is in the HVAC portion of the system, as in the doors aren't working right. If in fact the refrigeration portion of the system is leaking, then when they pulled the gas out---and they should have----to weigh it.
A simple leak check with an electronic leak detector would have shown up. They can find a leak down to 1/4 oz/year leak if they're using the right one.

If they're just adding gas, theres also a better chance that you are now overcharged, with gas and money for the work.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see this problem several times a week. If the air is less on the passengers side than the drivers. the way to solve this is to replace # 4 in the pic below. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions. It is called a "heater and A/C unit case" Hope this helps...

Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 PM
Wishbone
Record Breaker

One question though, it's freakin' January. What are doing running with the AC on? [&:]

Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Air on today. It was 29 when I got up and 65 at 3pm

Old 01-15-2008, 11:36 PM
onephatcracka
Rookie

number 4 in that picture is replaced alot. but that is the recirc door. the complaint is usually a vibration on high, or vents do not change.

I had an issue with temp at one point. I was told by engineering that a difference in 12 degrees is normal because of the design of the box. I was told that there have been cases of 25 degrees and chrysler wasn't doing anything to fix them. its just bad engineering. The dealership can try to calibrate the doors. but thats all they can do if all pressure are ok. Its more of an air flow in the box issue then a refrigerant issue.

I hope that helps

Quick Reply: A/C Problem