3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Erratic Idle/Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 PM
sa1765
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Erratic Idle/Stalling Issue

just replaced the cam position sensor on a friends cheby trailblazer...was having the same issues, when coming to a stop, the rpm's would jump around...usually would drop low and then just die. so far, the new sensor has fixed the problem, don't know if it would be the same thing in our trucks...if we even have the CPS.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 PM
kristopher
Default RE: Erratic Idle/Stalling Issue

I've been having the same problem since I bought the truck but ONLY when it is hot outside. In cold weather the idle isfairly smooth. I took it in to complain but since it wasnt throwing codes they tell me nothings wrong. I imagine when the warranty's up they'll pull out the list of things it needs.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:06 PM
sweetcrazygemini
Default 4.7 erratic idle / fuel pump problem?

I just took over payments for my brother's Dodge 1500 4.7 Magnum and have been having idle problems every since. When you start it, or put it in park after a drive, the idle is erratic going from 500 to 1500. It just seems to go up and down randomly. Sometimes it would even go low and die at a traffic light. After reading the forums I thought it was the IAC. Spent $80 on a new one and it seemed to fix the problem for about a week or two.

But then it started doing it again, the erratic idle and dying at traffic lights. So my brother listened and said the fuel pump didn't sound like it was working properly. Well he took the tank off and replaced the fuel pump. Well the problem is gone now, but now the fuel light is on, as is the check engine light.

He did specifically ask for fuel pump for the larger tank, but thinks they might have given him the wrong one. Not sure yet. Funny thing is the truck is idleing and running perfect now, but the gas gauge does not work and the check engine light is on.

So if anyone has any experience or insight they can offer then I would appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I addressed the pump in the other post you did. Check there.

Since this thread is old but now bumped TTT, this is the TSB in reference at the beginning of the thread

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2005/18-013-05.htm

Old 03-14-2011, 06:28 PM
roadrnr_70

I went through a similar issue with my 4.7 although it's in a Dakota, the transmission is the same. The dealer did a PCM reflash at a cost of hundreds also, but the problem didn't go away. This all occurred right after a transmission "service" which involved replacing the filters and about half the fluid. After several dealer trips they finally believed me when it stalled on them twice. At no time did this set a code. The valve body of the transmission was gunked up with debris and several valves were sticking, causing the truck to stall when coming to a stop, especially when cold. Fix was done under warranty. Involved removing and cleaning valve body and solenoids.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Steve Stevens

i have a 95 dodge pick up ...it stalls out when gets warm just past half. was on the freeway and it just dies ...wait awhile for it to cool and starts right back up..put an ele. fan on no help...got any ideas ...it only acts up then just past half on temp ???? confussed

Quick Reply: Erratic Idle/Stalling Issue