3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help a Noob out.. Just got an 03 RC 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:34 PM
slideways
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a Noob out.. Just got an 03 RC 5.7

Hey guys, i read the commonly asked questions. I've been heavy into Jeeps since i was 16 and was looking for a Dak r/t but found a really nice 03 SWB RC 4x4 Hemi instead. I like it alot for how big it is. As expected i have a ton of questions.
When i bought the truck it pulled slightly to the right and had what the salesman thought was a balance problem. So they just balanced the front tires and aligned it for me. The pull to the right is pretty much fixed. If i let the wheel go it will ease to the right but im not sure if they all do that. I still feel a slight shudder at certain speeds so first off my question is are there common front end issues with these trucks? And second.. are the Goodyear 20" tires tough to get a balance on? We got 1" of snow today and they certainly suck in that.

Next i'd like to learn about which mods yield the most mpg and power. From what i read exhaust doesnt give much except sound on the Hemi. I'd like to get an intake but i want the one that gives the most hp/tq. Best price is also nice. Then will probably come the programmer. Any other recommended beginner mods off the bat?

Sorry for being a PITA... if anyone has a question about a Jeep i can help

Old 01-17-2008, 05:54 PM
7floorsofhell
Professional
Default RE: Help a Noob out.. Just got an 03 RC 5.7

first off, welcome. second, i would have never driven the truck of the lot if it was not completely correct. sounds to me if you have a vibration in the truck it could be a couple of things depending on when it does it. First the easiest, check the inside of the rims to see if there is a bent one or whatever. But if the vibration comes on the highway, it could even be your driveshaft, U-joints, etc. any type of warranty? 3 month 3000 miles or anything?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well welcome to the forum! when i bought my truck it was great, but as i got some miles on it, she started to have a littly drift to the right and it's been that way ever since so i just deal with it.....as soon as you have a chance, get rid of the stock tires and upgrade....the GY's absolutly suck on these trucks.....driveshafts in the trucks are somewhat of a bad item, mainly just the aluminum driveshafts so i would check that and see if yours is aluminum or steel...if it's aluminum, chances are a weight has been thrown and it's out of balance....

as for mods.....most guys typically start off with a CAI, exhaust, and tuner. after that it's pretty much wide open....i kinda went that route cept i went in this order: CAI, 180 t-stat, tuner, 4.10 gears, auburn limited slip, E-fan, LT headers, AT3030......theres alot of resources that you can use to get mods...the website i get alot of my stuff from is moesperformance.com ....might try checkin em out.......as for a tuner, i would wait a little bit and buy the SCT tuner when it becomes available for the Hemi

Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the group, and congrats on the new ride. I love my '03! The only improvement would be Atlantic Blue an' I'm not spending $4K on a paint job, so it'll stay Bright Silver. My QC doesn't pull except when I call down to the engine room for more power, and then it's in a straight line. Road crown will make them pull a small amount, I guess. Typical car salesman who is not a car guy; what fixed the pull was the alignment. Out-of-balance tires will make it shake, not wander. Yep, vibration can come from many places. Hope the dealer works with you to resolve this. The only shuddering in mine is when I lean on it and watch the gas gauge sag.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
slideways
Rookie

Thanks guys,
The right pull really isnt much of an issue. The wheel issue seems to occur right at 50mph then around 60mph. Its just a rhythmic light bumping. I know some tires just are no good and wont take a balancing.. i wasnt sure if the GY's are known for this. Im really not in the mood to go picking at the dealer for a wheel balance issue. I'll check to see if i have an aluminum DS..

Any other things problem prone on these trucks?

Thanks

Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome to the forum Slideways.
The issue with the front end is probably a ball joint just starting to go, it's at the right age for that. Nothing major for now, just don't ignore it until it's a major problem.
As far as your 20's, as an avid off-roader, I am not a big fan of 20" wheels. You need as much "meat" as possible for flexing and cushioning off pavement. You'll find 20" tires have a fairly limited choice and are expensive. It probably wouldn't cost you much more to get a nice set of 17" wheels and good all-terrain tires.
As far as power/mpg mods, Hemiyellow is right on. 'Tis true, an exhaust alone does not do a whole lot for you by itself, but it's the key component to make other mods work well, so I'd start there. Then it's a CAI and a Tuner, preferrably a Superchips. Those are the "big 3" and will give you some nice modest power gains and a bit better fuel economy if you can keep your foot off it.
I get a very respectable 13.8-14 mpg in all-around driving and can top off near 17 on the highway with a VERY heavy (near 7000 lb.), heavily modded beast on 35" tires. I get a little additional help in both the power/mpg department from the above mods plus an e-fan, long tube headers, 4.56 gears and a few other goodies.
Just keep up with your tune ups and fluid changes, and clean the throttle body out about once a year and it should be a dependable ride for quite some time. The Hemi is a very solid performer and has a ton of untapped power, if you care to throw some time and money into it.
Good luck with the truck...

Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 PM
slideways
Rookie

Thanks man, which ball joint usually goes out? I have a private mechanic that can check them out for me if need be. As for the wheels, i like the 20's and since i wont offroad the truck i think i'll try to get a decent set of tires when the GY's wear out.

So you think i should get an exhaust first.. are there any systems that exit before the rear wheels? Any pics of that out there? Im also concerned about which system provides the most hp/mpg. I dont know about putting FM's on with the resonance i've read about. I'd like something deep that pulses throughout the rpm band vs something just drony and loud.

Quick Reply: Help a Noob out.. Just got an 03 RC 5.7