3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First Performance Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 AM
josh213corbs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Performance Mod?

So I'm just out of college and have very little funds. Most of my money, though, I am down to put toward my '07 1500 QC, black. Any suggestions on what I should do first? I would like to get some nicer tires concidering I live in CO and head to the moutains often. Any suggestions? Other than that, though, I have a system for sound and have tinted the windows. What should be my first move as far as performance is concerned? Please any suggestions.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Default RE: First Performance Mod?

cheaply...get a cold air intake from ebay...(it'll be under $50...and that's including shipping...see seller "chromeintakes"). or get this power wire thing everyone is talking about. i have one arriving in the mail shortly (JTrice@reedsmith.com is still trying to get rid of his). an enhaust would cost you ~$300. lets say flowmaster and dual out the backs...that's a pretty decent modification imo.

tires are a good call, but that'd be an expensive thing to do.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:36 PM
josh213corbs
Professional

Right...I want to do tires, but $$$$. I'll have to look into the power wire thing...I have no idea what that is! Flowmaster I think I will do. Dual, yes. Has anyone done anything different than straight out the back? I tend to like putting them out the sides behind the tires or something.

Also, as far as cold intake is concerned...any brand recommended? Does it matter?

Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

ORIGINAL: josh213corbs

Right...I want to do tires, but $$$$. I'll have to look into the power wire thing...I have no idea what that is! Flowmaster I think I will do. Dual, yes. Has anyone done anything different than straight out the back? I tend to like putting them out the sides behind the tires or something.

Also, as far as cold intake is concerned...any brand recommended? Does it matter?
i personally don't think it does. i bought a cheapo on ebay, and it helps noticeably at like 4k+ rpms. i bought it for less than 50, and if i wanna spend more on it, i could just go to auto store and buy a k&n cone to replace the generic one i was given from "chromeintakes" on ebay.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:55 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

Yeah, the brand of CAI doesn't really matter. You can do anything you want with the exhaust pipes, dumped before the rear tires looks really good in my opinion. You can also run them all the way back, but have them angled off to the side behind the rear wheels. Ifcost is an issue, just throw a good muffler on and dump it. That way you don't need to waste money on extra exhaust hangers and pipes. I had something similar done to mine. It should cost ~115 depending on the muffler.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

here is what i did.... im a college student as well and im broke......throttle body spacer, cold air intake (if you get a resonator replacement intake like mine youll get a lot better performance, but it cost a lot more too), if you look under your truck there is this monsterous muffler underneath up by your doors follow that all the way back to the rear axel.... the exhaust piping will go straight up and make a u then come down..... cut the exhaust off on the down angle this will make your exhaust sound throatier and will cost you nothing but the sweat to cut it.....I have a really cheap way to make your intake ram air but if you have the lower driving lights on your truck it wont work othwerwise let me know and ill tell you how to do it.....valve work only costs about 300 dollars.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:17 PM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

if you dont get this filter you suck lol...and actually thats the resonator replacement cold air intake from k&n that i have.... the big plastic thing that says hemi on the top is replaced by this intake good luck....

[IMG]local://upfiles/81798/B0F926B1F7244DCC8A6FF2D9A89DA466.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2008, 04:55 PM
josh213corbs
Professional

yeah, I do have the lower driving lights...unfortunately

I like your idea to just chop the exhaust...good one

Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
bloodySUNDAY134
Professional

First mod I got was a CAI from K&N, love it. I have limited funds as well, the CAI cost me around $200, that is with shipping and everying, went to autoanything.com. I just ordered a magnaflow exhaust from autoanything as well. I did something alittle different however, I got a single in/single out stainless steel catback, figured everyone has a dual coming out the rear or behind the rear wheels, I wanted an aftermarket exhaust, but wanted to keep it simple. the exhaust ran me around $460, shipping and tax included. your best bet would be a CAI.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
pcollins
Veteran

ORIGINAL: josh213corbs

Yeah. I did a catback system to my '05 and put on a single in, dual out Magnaflow. Had one pipe exit each side behind the rear tires. Looks awesome and sounds even better. With the muffler, all welding, pipe, tips, and labor it was $350 out the door.

Quick Reply: First Performance Mod?