3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to? Stock stereo, sub & amp.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:51 AM
muscleman320
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to? Stock stereo, sub & amp.

haha, nice. you'll be fine doing just that, but i know that at circuit city if you buy any head unit over 99 bucks (which is all of them pretty much) they'll install it for free, and they will hook up your bluetooth eactly like it is now. they also are pretty good about standin behind their work. I put in systems everyday in cars and trucks, you do'nt have to buy an expensive head unit just anything that says MOSFET and 50x4. you'll be ok without it but its still by far the biggest improvment.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:56 AM
redbeardmcg
Professional

If you replace the factory head unit and you have the infinity system you need the remote amp turnon.

This is the unit

A line out converter will do just fine if you want to keep the factory head unit, and most aftermarket decks (atleast alpine) come with bluetooth capability or are expandable to support bluetooth.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 AM
TANKZ400
All Star

Well I just did a install with my stock head unit and it sounds fine soI dont know what that guy's talkin about maybe if you want show quality sound then yeah but if you like the stock setup it willwork just fine

Old 02-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Ben D.
Champion

you might think that just because you have it now. but trust me if I let you sit in a vehicle with a comparable sub setup and speakers but has an aftermarket deck then you would full well understand what i'm talking about.
Here's what aftermarket offers that factory damn sure don't
higher power to speakers 22w rms usually at a minimum 16 comparied to about 5 of the stock one. don't pay attention to the 50x4 on all head units. that's peak power it means nothing. all head units have the same rms within a few watts. except sony **** which is like 5 watts.

High pass filter. this allows you to limit the lower frequencies ie bass that is being sent to ur door speakers. this allows for a much much much much much cleaner sound and results in longer door speaker longevity. they arn't meant to play bass so don't do it.

seperate sub control. able to control the sub level from the head unit and not having to do it from the amp. guess what with line out converter if you fade ur speakers to the front ur sub shuts off. why is that??? because ur using the rear speaker wires to supply signal to the sub.

High voltage Pre outs. these allow for a nice clean non distorted signal to go to your amplifier. resulting in a much cleaner sound and also making the job much easier on the amp. ie. helluva lot easier to amplifiy a 5volt signal to the amps output voltage than it is to amp a 1volt to the amps output.

and probably one of the biggest improvements. PARAMETRIC OR GRAPHIC EQUALIZER. no more do you just have bass and treble. now you will have a full list of frequencies throughout the humans audible range that you have at ur disposal to make the frequency response of the system as flat as possible. IE all frequencies play at approximately the same level. you don't want ur bass out the window loud and then ur vocals in the toilet. equalizers allow for this tuning which gives you way way way better sound.

aftermarket decks allow for ipod control, bluetooth, mp3/wma/aac playback. usb capability. hell i've seen some that will monitor ur vehicles electrical system voltage to determine how much you are stressing it with ur amps.

I just don't get spending a butt load of money on a truck that you are proud of. then spending money on a good set of subs and amp. and then completely undermining it all by not going aftermarket deck. considering a aftermarket deck that offers almost all I said except for the bluetooth and ipod stuff would cost about 140 bucks.

and you may ask how I know this. I did my own install in my jeep wrangler used a ****ty clarion deck. sounded decent i thought. then I spent the money and a full blown eclipse head unit with all the bells and whistles. i also at the same time redid my install and changed the wriing and such to heavier gauge wiring. I literally crapped myself whne I turned it on for the first time. it was phenomanol.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Schlag
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Considering I just bought the truck, spent money on a new exhaust cat back, tinted the windows & had to buy the sub box.......and I have the free year of Sirius. So a year w/ the stock unit w/ my amped sub will do just fine.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:05 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

Really the only reason I dont want to put my aftermarket head unit in is that i have a free year of sirius and do not want to go buy the sirius unit and pay for the service I have all the stuff do do aftermarket just the sirius is killing me

Old 02-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Ben D.
Champion

u cna transfer ur subscription and you can get a sirius unit for like 30 dollars. and with a good aftermarket deck you can do what you have now with sirius. basically all internal and no need for a seperate tuner.

honestly dude I'd just wait to do a stereo until you are ready to invest to do it right. otherwise you arn't going to be happy with the results. you took the time to buy the truck you wanted, the exhaust you wanted, had the windows tinted. got it all looking nice and proper. do you want the stereo now and have it be done a cheap way or want to wait a little while and get the 140-200 dollars to buy a new radio. I mean considering what you've spent so far I don't see the huge problem in waiting a while and saving up the 200. you bought a great amp sub and box. don't undermine that buy usign a line out

Old 02-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Some good points have been made.... but I already paid extra for the Infinity system... and it sounds pretty good. I'm not saying it was worth it, but to get some of the other options I wanted, you pretty much had to get it.

So, it sounds pretty decent, my bluetooth works with it, I have some mp3 player capability, and I have my Sirius for 8 more months. I'm going to end up spending 400+ on a deck in all reality and it might not even look nice in the wood trim dash due to the ****ty kit I'll have to use to fit it in there.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

Good point i didnt know that you can geta unit for that cheap.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a line output converter that amp has speaker level inputs that do the same thing.
From Crutchfield
Speaker Level Input:
The KAC-8103D comes with a speaker level input harness. This feature makes it easier to add an amplifier to a factory radio or to a receiver with no preamp outputs.

Just tap into your rear speakers.
I ran a setup like this until I got a new H/U and it sounded decent. The downside is if you fade to just the front your sub wont be on since it will be tied to the rear.

Quick Reply: How to? Stock stereo, sub & amp.