3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater/Air Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
carrevan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater/Air Issue

I own a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. 53,000 miles on it.
Lately my heater and air conditioner has been crapping out on me on and off.

Heres an example...

Say I have the heater on and it's working fine for a while, suddenly it stops working completely. If you put your hand up to it you can feel air coming out slowly. Now, say it's off... if it's kept off and it's working no air will leak... if it decides not to work while it's off then air starts to leak again. I tried listening a few times and heard the fan kind of make a weak whistling noise as if it might be struggling... but then again that makes me wonder about the leaking air. How can I go about this problem and access the area? I'm glad this is the only problem I've had! hope it can be an easy fix.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 AM
carrevan
Rookie
Default RE: Heater/Air Issue

Can anyone help me?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
BIG HOOK
Professional
Default RE: Heater/Air Issue

I would start by checking the fuse or fuses that are dedicated to the HVAC assemblies. Granted with fuses, they are either fried our not but you could have one going bad or it is not in it's cradle firmly enough. Also, check/trace the wiring for those items also. Your 2002 has been on the road long enough to maybe have some connection jarred loose or touching something and creating an intermittent operating situation. Depending on whether you have owned it since new, maybe a previous owner tampered with something back there to cause these issues.

General trouble shooting info is in your owners manual. More thorough info is in the Factory Service Manual, available online or at allpar.com.

Tim

Quick Reply: Heater/Air Issue