3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air conditioning......

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:31 PM
*RED*
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning......

I have an 03' 1500 and just recently the A/C doesn't cool all the time. I don't drive the truck much but I think it does it more often when it's just idleing. I thought maybe someone new what the problem might be. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Default RE: Air conditioning......

get out, check to see if your ac condenser fan is spinning. tell me if yes or no and i can go from there. had an AC problem a few months ago

Old 02-09-2008, 08:57 PM
*RED*

Ok I checked it out. It's cutting on and off....on and off etc. ??????

Old 02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Redram05baby

Thats Your Compressor Cycling.. Are You Getting Any Cooling? Does Your Condenser Condense (Is There A Puddle Under Your Truck After It Sits - A/c On)?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 PM
mmstar23
Champion

either a) an electrical problem to the ac condenser fan or b) the motor on the fans going. mine, it just stopped. it blew cold air for some reason once in a while, but blew warm air. i dont know if you want to take it out and put a new one in yourself or have someone do it. but this is what i did. i brought it to a radiator shop, they did all the ac stuff, the guy looked at it for free, took him about 40 seconds, and he told me the fan was gone. i asked him how much it would be just for the part. he told me 240 for the OEM fan and 185 for the aftermarket. i then turned to ebay. bought a nice fan that is quieter and in my opinion better than the factory one. got from ebay and its made by TYC, it was $60 and $20 to ship, totaling 80$ and i saved my self a hell of a lot of money by doing that. it was a hassle to take the old fan out, by the way the whole plastic housing comes out with the fan. you'll get that whole piece when you get a new one. theres 2 large screws on top to take it out, and 4 small ones, (2 on each side of the fan housing) those are kinda hard to get to, those 4 screws hold its radiator in place. then just be careful pulling it out because its kind dificult, just take your time to manocer it out. putting the new one in is much easire though. any questions just PM me.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:10 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does sound like the compressor. First to check is coolant (R-134). If it's low, the compressor will cycle on and off faster than normal.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: *RED*

Ok I checked it out. It's cutting on and off....on and off etc. ??????
What's cutting on and off...the compressor? If it is then that's normal...if the fan is cutting on and off then that's not normal.

Like the other s said , check the electric fan behind the condensor and make sure it's running(looks like a small radiator and it's directly to the right of the radiator).

Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 AM
abarmby
Champion

Put your AC to on and turn the vent direction onto full defrost.
Turn your internal cab fan to the on position.
The AC fan, which is the small fan next to the radiator on the front drivers sideunder thee hood, should always be spinning with a STRONG gale like wind going toward the firewall.
If this fan isn't doing that and the wind isn't that strong, it looks like AC fan replacement time.
What I also did was to have a guy swich all the AC stuff on when he was in the cab while I had hold of the AC fan in my hand.
I had a stout glove on and the fan was real easy to stop spinning, and when it was stopped, it wouldn't spin back up without a clout on the motor with a large screwdriver handle.
A new fan has lots of torque and if youy do manage to temporarily stall itby holding onto it,will start right back up instantly.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 AM
*RED*

Ok I cranked it up this morning the fan never came on. I guess that is my problem? That would make it cool while I'm driving but not when setting still? It was the compressor cycling on and off I was talking about yesterday.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: *RED*

Ok I cranked it up this morning the fan never came on. I guess that is my problem? That would make it cool while I'm driving but not when setting still? It was the compressor cycling on and off I was talking about yesterday.
Yes