3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just Turned 100k What should I be doing to the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:10 AM
02blackram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Turned 100k What should I be doing to the truck?

I am wondering what this truck needs after it's over the hill mileage. Does flushing the brake lines really improve the braking? Some one said brake fluid absorbs water and makes them soft. What kind of massive overhaul and repair should I be doing to this truck? Like top cleaning or oil flush? What about the trans? It has a 4.7 Quad cab and has had nothing ecxept oil in the last 35,000. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Redram05baby
Default RE: Just Turned 100k What should I be doing to the truck?

Ouch.. In My Opinion You Maybe Too Late For A Trans Flush - Although Controversial, In Automotive SchoolI Learned First Hand That A Trans Over Say 60k (Give or Take) Doesn't Like New Trans Fluid. As The Trans Components Wear It Creates A Bubble Gum Effect Allowing The Worn Components To Function As They Should - Take That Away and Thats When Everything Starts To Fall Apart. Thats Just My .02
Otherwise, Replacing The Trans Filter Will Remove SOME of The Fluid, Yet Allow Some To Stay In The System

Throttle Body Cleaning Isn't A Bad Idea - After A While Carbon Builds on The Inside of Your TB and Creates The Rough or High Idle Symptoms.. I Use To Do This For Vehicles On This Side, It's Like A Night and Day Effect For Customers.

Replacing Your Diff/diffs Fluid Is Always A Good Idea.

As My Company Vans Hit Around 100K I Like Dropping The Oil Pan To See If There Is Any Build Up On The Pickup For The Pump, And To See What Is Sitting on The Bottom of the Pan.

Does flushing the brake lines really improve the braking?
May or May Not Improve Braking, But Is Always A Plus To Replace The Brake Fluid If Not Done Recently. It Will Remove any Air Pockets or Moisture in The System - Also May Cure any Uneven Brake Wear.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:05 AM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran

Change the transmission fluid and transmission fluid filter. Inspect and replace the PCV valve. Inspect brake lining. Replace serpentine belt. Replace spark plugs a/n. All these are just suggestions from my progressive insurance suggest vehicle maintenance. I'm sure there's more needed.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:08 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check to make sure all the free recalls have been done.

Read over the TSB's for your year and model
to see if any of those problems are begining on your vehicle:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/index.html

Have a dealership read the CVI numbers of the hydraulic clutches inside your automatic transmission and begin watch those every 30,000 miles to be warned of coming problems. The CVI is a number that tells you how many cc's of ATF fluid is being used to engage the clutch, and as they go up they indicate wear and leakage of seals.

Along similar lines you could do compression dry/wet psi and leakdown percentage tests of your 8 cylinders in the engine and perhaps do a Blackstone analysis of the next oil change.

Now is also a good time to crawl under the truck and look for ways to prevent corrosion of the frame and critical parts...that live a hard life underneath exposed to salt and rocks.

Look over all electrical plugs for 'green death' crud at the joint
and all electrical ground connections to the frame
and check all vacuum lines for spots where they may have rubbed
and are in danger of future leaks.

How far and long can a pickup go?

check this post:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_1159385/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Just Turned 100k What should I be doing to the truck?