3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel width?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008 | 01:01 PM
josh213corbs
|
Professional
Default Wheel width?

All...I'm looking into new wheels for my truck:

http://www.wheelsnext.com/default.cf...r=BLACK%20FLAT

Wondering if someone could give me advantages/disadvantages between getting 12" wide compared to 8.5" wide.

The price is pretty much the same...I'd get the same size tires either way (275/60/20).

I live in CO and drive in the snow/ice all the time. Will one wheel have and advantage over another? I would think it's just the tires right?

Any input please??

Old 02-13-2008 | 01:38 PM
Redram05baby
Default RE: Wheel width?

ORIGINAL: josh213corbs

All...I'm looking into new wheels for my truck:

http://www.wheelsnext.com/default.cf...r=BLACK%20FLAT

Wondering if someone could give me advantages/disadvantages between getting 12" wide compared to 8.5" wide.

The price is pretty much the same...I'd get the same size tires either way (275/60/20).

I live in CO and drive in the snow/ice all the time. Will one wheel have and advantage over another? I would think it's just the tires right?

Any input please??
Well, One Absolute Difference - When You Go With A Wider Rim If Forces the Tire Out, and Tends to Shorten It Height.

Say For Example:
Your 275/60/20 = 33x10.8R20, Say Thats Based on An 8" Wide Rim. That Same Tire Mounted on a 12" Rim May Create a 31.8x11.6 Because It Forces The Sidewalls Out - Pulling The Height Down. That Is Just an Example - The Results Would Vary.

That Is What Happened to My Terra Grapplers.

Now, If You Gain More Width - Your Tire Contact Areato Ground Is Greater.As You Spread YourSurface It Also Spreads Your WeightDistribution.Meaning With A Wider Tire, Your lbs Per Inch Would Reduce Because You Now Have the Same Amount of Weight - But You Adding MoreRubberonthe Ground.

Traction Wise There Is A Balance, Granted When Your Tire Gets Wider You May Gain More Traction Due To More Road Rubber To Grab - But on The Opposite End of The Balance, You May Spread That Weight Too Much and Create A Floating Issue on Snow/Water/ or Mud.

Old 02-13-2008 | 01:49 PM
josh213corbs
|
Professional

Yeah...I think you're right dude. I drive on snow all the time, so I think adding more rubber to the road will make for worse traction.

I really appreciate your thoughts. The reason I was interested in the wider wheels, too, was because i figured they're heavier.

After your input and more thought, though, I think I should go with the 8.5" wide.

What size are your new wheels? And did you stick with those tires? I know you didn't dig em at first.

Old 02-13-2008 | 02:14 PM
Redram05baby

I Went With x9's - Not Totally by Choice, I Bought the Last Set 4WP's Had in A 5 on 5.5.

Starting To KINDA Like These - I Get A Lot of Compliments on the Road and At Gas Stations, Just Wasn't What I Wanted - New Tires Will Be in on Friday.

I Think Tractionwise You'll Be Happy With A Skinnier Rim. Pretty Sure The Stockers' Are Only 20x8's So You'd Be Increasing by .5". It Sure Gives A MEAN Look With A Wider Tire. Well Good Luck, and Hope You Post Some Pics.

Old 02-13-2008 | 03:25 PM
CarolinaRam

Yeah i just swapped out my stock 20s for17s. the stock 20s are 20x9

Quick Reply: Wheel width?