3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dealership screwed up my car

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Baddog543
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealership screwed up my car

If your car was in for service and they took the keys and you left the car with the dealership to get your warranty repairs done I would think that when you sign the paperwork for your to get serviced they are responsible for that car until you pick it up. Why else would some repair places try to get all of the cars that they can in the building before close so they can be locked inside. If you just parked there and went inside thats different but you left this with them.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 AM
shah 303
Professional

have a laywer and sue the dealership. my friend did that once with ford. A guy from ford dealership took it for joyriding with his lighting. he switched to dodge b/c better service.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
shah 303
Professional

i never took my truck to dealership for service unless i need to get fix under the powertrain warrenty. i have a friend who used to be a mech for more than 25 years. he fix all my cars and truck for free as i do something for him. you get what i mean.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Baddog543
Veteran

A little under the table action shah???

Old 02-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does Canadian Law say? Get a lawyer. It's a truck and it's a cardinal sin to call it a CAR.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 PM
EspoMan
Professional

ORIGINAL: shah 303

i never took my truck to dealership for service unless i need to get fix under the powertrain warrenty. i have a friend who used to be a mech for more than 25 years. he fix all my cars and truck for free as i do something for him. you get what i mean.
Are you a female shah?

Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

way to go parts, backing the dealership.
Actually, he's telling you the truth.....and while it's not a popular answer, he's right.

If your vehicle is parked in a public parking lot, or at a business, the company is not liable for damages to your vehicle. This is why you will always see signs posted about not responsible for damage from carts/accidents/theft etc...

HOWEVER, if possession of your vehicle is turned over to someone, be it a dealership, installation shop, or something of the kind, then they can be held liable for damage or theft to your vehicle while in their possession. For example, if his vehicle was in a private lot for the dealership, then there is no way anyone but an employee would have caused that damage, thus they are responsible. However, it could have been parked out in the public parking area (which some dealerships do) and been struck by someone that is not an employee. In this instance, the dealership isnt liable.

There's a very gray area there, and it really does boil down to what your local/state laws will back you on as well.

Personally, if you left your truck in their possession for several days for repairs, they're liable for anything that happens to it. I'd contact a lawyer regardless, simply because you may walk out with more then you walked into it with...

Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 PM
SmittyRN
Professional

ORIGINAL: shah 303

Don't ask, don't tell.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

way to go parts, backing the dealership.
I get paid to back MY dealership, but I step up if we are at fault. If a dealership employee causes damage to a customers vehicle, we take care of it. My guys know to tell me if they damage a vehicle as it is the right thing to do. I show the customer and get it fixed. I never try to hide anything. If a employee "hotrods" a customers vehicle, they will get a warning and must apologize to the customer. If they do it again, they will be looking for another job. I am not sure about all places, but most dealers have a liability waiver. When you sign the repair order, it says "Not responsible for loss or damage or articles left in cars in case of fire, theft, or any other cause beyond our control" If you are not sure how the damage happened, how do you know who is responsible. I have seen customers claim to have had their vehicle damaged at a shop, only to discover that they did it themself and were looking for a free fix...I know that I do not have the popular answers, I am just trying to share a point of view from a dealer and someone who actually has been down this road before.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:32 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

That's no good but I guess **** happens.

Quick Reply: Dealership screwed up my car