3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

amp question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:55 PM
syn65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp question

I have a fairly high power drawing amp, (rockford T series) and my subs make a pop or sometimes a kinda statiky pop hiss sound when tha amp comes on. Anyone have any suggestions on how to cure this ? I have the amp grounded to the drivers seat using the front left bolt with the paint scraped away(used sandpaper).
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: amp question

is it exaclty when the amp turns on? my guess is that it is a turn on pop. turn on pop is usually caused by faulty wiring, a poor ground. maybe even a faulty amp. check ur wiring and tell us how you've got all this ran because you might have some issue with that.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 PM
syn65

So i shortned and repositoned the ground wire. Still have the same noise. Although i did notice it's only when the engine starts. When the key is just turned half way, no sound. and in response to above post amp ground to drivers side rear left seat bolt, power wire to battery, blue(remote) to alpine head unit
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Ben D.
Champion

only whne you start the engine. It's never a good idea to be bumping ur system and then start the vehicle. If you have ur system on and wanna start the car. shut it off. then start. because voltage is real jumpy when going through start up.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:39 PM
syn65

I shut my system off before i shut my vehicle off and turn it on after start up. Still makes the noise. I just happend to be testing it that way at that time. Also had the deck at about volume 4 whie testing
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-21-2008, 05:44 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

sounds to me like your power wire is too close to your rca's. or your rca's are too close to some other 12V wire. Do you have the rca run on a different side of the truck or is it run with the B+ or remote wire? If you have them too close to each other they can cause electrostatic interference and it will cause a static or humming noise

Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Ben D.
Champion

^^ that's what I was thinking but he's only getting it when he turns the amp on. if it was interference/alternator noise he would have it all the time. Plus with a sub amp you have to try hard to make it have static. because most of the static thta tcomes in gets filtered out by the low pass filter. much more noticable with a 4 channel. but if you use really cheap rca's it happens. but hey try keeping ur rca's away from the power wire it may help. i'm thnking it might be a bad amp. call fosgate they have great tech guys that can help you out a bit.

Quick Reply: amp question