3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bully Dog Triple Dog Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:21 PM
chongo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bully Dog Triple Dog Tuner

I ordered this yesterday from truckcustomizers.com - second product I have ordered from them and they again were great - got the tuner in this afternoon.

When I got the tuner I immediately updated it via "The Update Agent" from Bully Dog - once that was done I went out and uploaded the regular tune and changed the tire size.

My truck ran like **** for the most part. First once I started the truck it idled close to 1000-1100RPM's - when I put it in gear it felt like someone was swinging a damn club into my rearend -I took it out and immediately could feal the hesitation down low - it would sputter like it wasgasping for fuel - onceI got out on the hwy it wasfine - but when I hadto stop at a light if felt again like my rear end was being clubbed, like it was about to keep on rollingright out from under me. A couple times I really put my foot in it - half the time it would go - the other half my foot would go to thefloor and nothing and I would have to keep it there till it started to accelerate.

I am verydissapointed in this tuner right now. I just re-updated it to V1.0.4 - so I will see what it does when I get off work here shortly.

Guys with this tuner - Specifically L and R - what version is yours running - I just want to make sure that mine is running what it should be.

I will post up on what happens after I try it again.

Also I am running 89 Octane

Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 AM
chongo
Veteran
Default RE: Bully Dog Triple Dog Tuner

Okay - I was emailed V1.0.5 last night from Bully Dog - I loaded the tune then went out and loaded it to the truck. Again, I could tell right off it wasn't running right - I tool it around the block and it still sputters and when taking of from a stop sign I put my foot in it a bit and nothing I get a lightening bolt on the dash and I am coasting - I coasted for about 400 ft and during that time my truck remained running but I got zero response from the accelerator. I immediatly pulled over removed the tune and called BD back - the engineers weren't there when I called so I am waiting for them to call me this morning.

Getting more a more frustrated, but still hoping that we can get this figured out.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
TANKZ400
All Star

Return it and get the edge.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
chongo
Veteran

I just got off the phone with a tech from BD - we did the gotomeeting deal - basically extracted the files from my tuner and an engineer will look at it and I should have something by the end of the day - if nothing else - the customer service has been great - they are working hard at this.

If this doesnt work out at the end of the day I will more than likely be moving to the edge - but I am hopefull that BD gets this worked out.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 PM
chongo
Veteran

Alright - got it worked out - right now according to the engineer who looked at it - he said that he was a little off on theregular tune and to run it on the premium tune till they get the update out. They said it was no problem running the 89octane on the premium tune because essentialy I was running the regular tune. They were vrey helpfull with this and quick in response. I loaded the premium tune when I got off the phone and it ran great none of the problems that I had experienced earlier. The power is noticeable not a whole bunch but it is noticeable - especially in the 70-102 range- it pulls quite a bit harder in that range now. I will wait to comment on the mpg improvement (I hope) after my trip to galveston on sun/mon.

Sofar - alittle frustrated about the initial problems getting the truck tuned properly, but the excellent customer service by BD and a quick fix has givenme a warm and fuzzy - so, so farI am happy with my purchase.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
chongo
Veteran

A quick update on this tuner - I drove to galveston on sun. and avg. 15.5 and I filled up on my way back and drove 208 miles and got 16.69 - the trip south and then back north for a bit was a mix of speeds at 72, stop and go city - and some 65 - the second fill up was at a steady 65 - I am really surprised with the mileage - The best I have ever gotten on a drive more than 25 miles is 14.8- so the bully dog does help with your mileage I picked up anywhere from 1-2 mpg depending on the terrain - I am happy thus far.

Quick Reply: Bully Dog Triple Dog Tuner